Door clunk

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Fnord
480 Newbie

Door clunk

Post by Fnord » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:22 am

Since getting my current 480 ('92 Turbo) the passenger door has refused to stay open. On inspection I noticed an arm in the middle of the door that looked like it came from a matching pair of rings on the chassis. A closer look revealed a pin thing that had slipped down and was obviously used to hold the arm in the rings.

Since putting this lot back together the door now makes a clunk noise about halfway open (where it will hold on it's own) and at fully open (where it will now also hold). When you close the door it makes the same clunk noise at both points.

Is this nothing to worry about or is my door about to drop off ?

Fnord

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:05 am

I repaired a similar thing on my rriends 205GTI. The clunk was being caused by the holes you are describing being stetched too big, or the pin worn too small... Just needed to hammer a tighter roll pin into it. Have a look as you open and close the door, when you hear the noise if there is any sort of movement around the pin (bit awkward to describe).

Otherwise, the welded hinges break on the 480, but this never made a noise on mine. Had it repaired now.

pol

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:16 pm

the door is meant to be hold twice: half way, and open (i guess half way to leave only rear passengers out.)

remove the doorpanel , clean the structure, check for all to great wear, and use lots of copper paste or lithium grease

If you check: don't be surprized to find the mounts of the spring torn out on the innerplate (not visible from outside) some 480, if not all suffer(ed ) from this. This is weldable dough.
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:19 pm

Both my 480's have had problems with that piece of the door, Ine of them had been welded before, but snapped again, so I have bolted it back on.
1996 Mini Classic 1275.