Finally found out why I can't see anything in my wing mirror

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Ben Harris
480 Is my middle name

Finally found out why I can't see anything in my wing mirror

Post by Ben Harris » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:44 pm

I've figured it out at last! It's been puzzling me for ages, the fact that even with my drivers side mirror fully adjusted, half of it is still taken up with the side of my car. Now, nice as the car is, I'd rather be able to see where other cars are whilst I'm driving along! :wink:

After talking with Mat (MatBat), he pointed out to me that the drivers side mirror (newer style) should have a curved edge to it, to help get rid of the blind spot, and my mirror didn't have that. I assumed that the wrong glass had been fitted at some point, probably non-Volvo glass from somewhere like Halfords, and that was what the problem was. I spoke to Volvo and ordered in some new glass which I picked up today.

Unfortunatly, on fitting it, the problem remained, and I still had half of the mirror taken up with the rear of my car. I also noticed that it was original Volvo mirror glass that I'd removed, as the part code was very similar (although not quite the same) as the one I'd just replaced it with.

Upon further investigation, it turns out the part number for the mirror glass that I had removed, was for the passenger mirror glass that should be fitted to a LHD 480, and had been fitted to the drivers side of my RHD 480. From this, I can only conclude that the entire mirror is actually a passenger LHD mirror, and that's where my problem lies.

So..... I'm now on the lookout for a newer style, RHD drivers mirror for my 480. I don't need any of the actual internals of the mirror or the plastic cover, as I've got all them already, so it doesn't matter it they've been smashed or damaged. The only bit I need it the solid metal bit which attaches to the door. I've attached a picture, detailing the part in red. Can anyone help?

Also... I'm intrigued if anyone can come up with any plausable reason why I should have a LHD passenger mirror fitted the drivers side of my RHD car? The only possible reasons I could think of were:
1. It left the factory like that, as a mistake.
2. It had an accident whilst abroad somewhere and they were the only parts that could be sourced to replace it with.

My car appears to have always been serviced by Volvo themselves, and has some very expensive Volvo bills, so I can't imagine it being someone doing a bodge job repair....

This should possibly be in the "Parts" section, but as there was a story that went along with it too, I thought it may be better suited to "General Discussion".

Ben.

CHESH740R
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by CHESH740R » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:39 pm

Friday Afternoon Factory Car Sydrome Ben.

Production Line worker was thinking of other things as he attached your mirrors and hey presto he put the wrong part it.

I often wonder what happened to the Vauxhall Vectra thats instrument panel had all its instrument bulbs swiped whilst a certain someone was laying a new floor in the area the clusters were stored before fitting to the cars on the line.

Tell ya saved me a fortune when my 480 at the time went through instrument cluster bulbs at an alarming rate.

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:37 pm

Well any mirror is better than no mirror i reckon would be the thinking behind that one...

pol

Ben Harris
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ben Harris » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:02 pm

True.... my Dad's old MGB Roadster hasn't got any wing mirrors, so I suppose I should be greatful! :)

I will try and get the correct one at some point though.... :wink:

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:05 pm

u should blame volvo and get a new one (if only u could prove it) ;)
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT