Rear light seal suggestions?

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WillC9303
Can tell where the 480 was built

Rear light seal suggestions?

Post by WillC9303 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:20 pm

Evening all,

After years battling and multiple sets of taillight seals I’m really at the end of my tether with my perpetually leaky rear light clusters which seem to let a steady stream of water in at the base of the light. :wall:

I know that permanently sealing the lights in could be short-sighted, but at this point I really feel like I have no choice as water ingress has wreaked havoc with the interior - unless there is some sort of water resistant substance that goes over the gasket but doesn’t act as a strong glue? All searches for gasket sealant come up with stuff for head gaskets/rocket covers which is probably a lot stronger that what I’m after.

If anyone has any suggestions of advice that would be great - I would go all cliché and call it a fish tank, but it’s even worse at holding the water that it collects!! :bla:

Thanks
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

Themasteryeti
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Rear light seal suggestions?

Post by Themasteryeti » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:20 pm

WillC9303 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:20 pm
Evening all,

After years battling and multiple sets of taillight seals I’m really at the end of my tether with my perpetually leaky rear light clusters which seem to let a steady stream of water in at the base of the light. :wall:

I know that permanently sealing the lights in could be short-sighted, but at this point I really feel like I have no choice as water ingress has wreaked havoc with the interior - unless there is some sort of water resistant substance that goes over the gasket but doesn’t act as a strong glue? All searches for gasket sealant come up with stuff for head gaskets/rocket covers which is probably a lot stronger that what I’m after.

If anyone has any suggestions of advice that would be great - I would go all cliché and call it a fish tank, but it’s even worse at holding the water that it collects!! :bla:

Thanks

Did you get the seals off Jeff? The ones I bought a while back off him worked a charm for me, not a drop of water gets through now!
1973 vw beetle
1993 480s

WillC9303

Post by WillC9303 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:09 pm

Themasteryeti wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:20 pm
WillC9303 wrote:
Evening all,

Thanks

Did you get the seals off Jeff? The ones I bought a while back off him worked a charm for me, not a drop of water gets through now!

I did-

Starting to wonder if my lights have warped or something as I was super careful when installing the gaskets and cleaned up the area too…
William

royhedger
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by royhedger » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:16 pm

Daft question but is it definitely coming in through your tail lights?
Other place it can get in are side orange reflectors and boot lid seal, especially at the top where the wiring crosses it to get to the stop lamp and wiper.
White 1990 480 Turbo Auto
Caspian Blue 2015 V70 D5 SE Lux

Previously G reg 480 ES Black and D reg 480 ES in Silver

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:31 pm

I have warped rear lights, bought some closed cell a similar thickness to Jeff's light seals and added an extra strip along the top. That worked for my white turbo.
If it's the side markers Jeff has seals for those as well. If it's the hatch seal try a 440 one from a scrapyard. They have a lip to keep water out which the 480 seal doesn't have. You will need to trim the length but otherwise a perfect fit. That worked on my 2 litre.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:21 pm

WillC9303 wrote:
unless there is some sort of water resistant substance that goes over the gasket but doesn’t act as a strong glue?
When all else fails, I use “plumbers mait”.

A tub is less than a fiver from Toolstation etc.

Difficult to describe, but it’s like sticky blue tack that repels water. Never sets, so always serviceable.

If you ever pull door rubbers off a modern car you’ll find a similar substance within the seal grip. Designed to stop “wicking” up and over the bodywork flange.

I have just sealed the rear lights on a Peugeot 107 with PM. Worked a treat. Arguably it’s not pretty when on view, and it’s off-white, so you need to be tactful with it. The little 107 now has a dry boot carpet so all is good.

I think the original method was butyl based. Nothing wrong with Jeff’s seals but with warped rear lights you have to go off-piste. With butyl cord you can always double up.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:34 pm

Funny you mention wicking.... Have seen this happen on the upper rear boot seal; Water was going under the seal, up the inside of it, over the metal lip and then into the upper headlining seal, then running along a dripping out through the rear plastics.

Other places I've seen leakage include the tailgate hinge gaskets (where it bolts through the glass), rear quarters where sunroof drains on the pocket, but the drain hold in that pocket is blocked. Wiring loom at the top of screen feeding water into the rear screen channel. I've seen water entering the rear tailgate seal through the "blow out" holes that face outward, and dripping out through the join.

Its as important to think about how water gets OUT as it is to how it gets IN. For example, the centre part of the rear lenses isn't really "sealed" - its two mounting gaskets, just to stop the plastic rubbing on the body. Water runs across the rear lens and then escapes through the Gap in the centre section. If water can get in, ask yourself, can it get out? Because if not, it'll find or make it's own way out. In fact, I believe one of the "fixes" Volvo did for water entering the wiring loom channel on the rear screen was to simply drill some small holes in the base of the channel, thus allowing water to exit it.

(oh and yes, I've been discussing Will's problem with him!)

WillC9303

Post by WillC9303 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:26 pm

royhedger wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:16 pm
Daft question but is it definitely coming in through your tail lights?
Other place it can get in are side orange reflectors and boot lid seal, especially at the top where the wiring crosses it to get to the stop lamp and wiper.
The only drip seems to be coming in from the bottom of the taillamps. No sign of water intrusion anywhere else.
dragonflyjewels wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:31 pm
I have warped rear lights, bought some closed cell a similar thickness to Jeff's light seals and added an extra strip along the top. That worked for my white turbo.
I may have to make my own as I suspect my lights are warped too.
Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:21 pm
When all else fails, I use “plumbers mait”.

A tub is less than a fiver from Toolstation etc.
Thanks! I have ordered a tub. Will let you know how I get on.
William