Rustproofing the 480

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Robert17
Started learning about 480

Rustproofing the 480

Post by Robert17 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Hey all, I wanna sure up my 1994 480 for a bit longer, where's the best place to start sealing up for rust?

A Chap the other day was telling me they rust from the inside out because they're double skinned, would it help if I pull out the bungs and spray all inside there with waxoyl?

Cheers,

Robert

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:58 pm

waxoyl everything you can

remove the inner wings (big black plastic ones) and throuoghly clean the arches out, paying attention to the accumulation of crud round the lip of the arch....really clean it good....then when dry, waxoyl all the exposed metal etc....some people leave the inner wings off too permanently i believe.
always a good place to start
;)
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:05 pm

robkendall wrote:waxoyl everything you can

remove the inner wings (big black plastic ones) and throuoghly clean the arches out, paying attention to the accumulation of crud round the lip of the arch....really clean it good....then when dry, waxoyl all the exposed metal etc....some people leave the inner wings off too permanently i believe.
always a good place to start
;)
rob
Yup, if its on the 480 and made of metal, rustproof it!

Although leaving the arch liners out causes all the road crud to get thrown up onto your door hinges and door wiring which isn't a good thing really. :)