What Are You Using?

Springs, shock absorbers, wheels. Questions about this can be asked in this category.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

What Are You Using?

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:09 am

Ok.

I'm sad really, i've done all my christmas shopping (and touchwood), my next paypacket on the 20th Dec is all mine...

I'm getting some clear front lenses from Father Christmas, so my next job is lowering. I know there have been quite a few threads before, but it would be good to have them in one post as a reference.

My 440 was lowered 40mm on standard shocks...ok, but not ideal. I was looking for a spring/shock combination this time round, but i find the 480's body roll quite minimal compared to the 440. I know that the 440/460 shocks aren't as good as the 480's, so i'm quite happy running just springs as i feel from how the car handles/drives now that the current Volvo shocks would be ok....or would it be wrong to assume that?

Ideally, i'd like the car to sit like this (more dodgy Photoshopping)...

Does that look a realistic 40mm??
So i suppose, what i'm after in this thread is, if possible, a profile picture of your lowered 480's (on standard Volvo alloys as thats what i'm keeping) and/or what setup suspension wise you are running.

I don't want too hard, but i don't want my mirrors to scrape the floor everytime i hit a corner :lol: So any advice/experiences/links appreciated! I want to get it right this time!

:cheers:
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:07 pm

Well, four years and 50k later, my Pi's were a bit saggy. Don't think they are up to the job myself.
I now have standard volvo ones in again and prefer the steering response and handling.

Before anyone jumps on me, Im talking about handling not grip
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:20 pm

Hi Chris.

Well, at least you've read my post anyway...:lol: Quite surprised about the Pi springs actually-especially as it's only 50k later... I had seen the Pi's, but perhaps i'll look for some more. Mind you-will i have the car in 4 years?? When did you start noticing the difference?
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

Post by VanDerGraaf » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:46 am

If the Volvo springs that came with the lowering kit for the 480 (or 440/460) are still available surely they'd be worth a look, they drop 30mm which seems a better compromise to me than 40mm. Problem is i can't see any details about which springs are which in the TARDIS :? Volvo seem to colour code them....

Richard Pruen has the (unavailable) 480 lowering kit from Volvo and i think he mentioned his springs were blue.

Springs are easy to find really, there are a lot out there. Avo, PI, Ventura, Spax (all 40mm), Jamex (30mm). The problem is that other than PI theres no consensus really as to what's good and what isn't :( . This is something i feel we all could do with some info on! Murf seemed to like the Venturas, and they didn't sag too much. But he'd need to tell us about that! ;)

As to shocks, the current consensus seems to be that Bilsteins are very good but rattly. Sachs/Volvo are probably worth a try. Someone mentioned that Sachs rears are slightly shorter than Bilsteins, which helps a bit.
Or Konis if you want to spend a bit more. Ally's car has Koni reds installed and i found them to be nice and sportily firmed up for the handling but still "comfy enough" for normal driving. Bit pricey mind you.

What we really need is a petition (read:minimum order) and a blackmail plot involving compromising pictures of the Chairman of Eibach to persuade them to make some lowering springs for us! Oh the heaven that would be....and they bloody make them for all sorts of old and common cars but NOT the Volvo 400 series. :angry: :(
08 Renault Laguna III Sport Tourer 2.0T 4 wheel steering madness
00 Citroën XM ES9 V6 incredible

Previously:
00 W210 Mercedes E430 V8 estate LPG .....wünderbar!
00 W210 Mercedes E320cdi estate dead, eaten alive
95 Citroën XM 2.5 TD estate dead
95 Citroën XM 2.1 TD stolen/dead
'97 Saab 9000 Aero gone
Vase Green '94 Twin Pipe 480 Turbo
"Scar", Vase Green '94 Turbo dead
"Green Goblin" '93 Turbo Auto PITA, dead
Grey '88 ES dead
Steel Grey '93 480 Turbo sold and believed dead

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:10 pm

You really should check your wishbones for wear.

I thought it was normal to drive around on PI (40mm drop) with standard shocks (new) and get banging from each tiny hole in the road.

Replaced the wishbones and made a massive change to the drive.

Sachs on the rears and bilsteins on the fronts.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

Post by VanDerGraaf » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:25 pm

Some good advice there from Martin.
I'll be doing that sometime next year.

If you can afford it Dan, also think about replacing your top mounts at the same time, if they're old already then the drop will make them worse (creak creak).
08 Renault Laguna III Sport Tourer 2.0T 4 wheel steering madness
00 Citroën XM ES9 V6 incredible

Previously:
00 W210 Mercedes E430 V8 estate LPG .....wünderbar!
00 W210 Mercedes E320cdi estate dead, eaten alive
95 Citroën XM 2.5 TD estate dead
95 Citroën XM 2.1 TD stolen/dead
'97 Saab 9000 Aero gone
Vase Green '94 Twin Pipe 480 Turbo
"Scar", Vase Green '94 Turbo dead
"Green Goblin" '93 Turbo Auto PITA, dead
Grey '88 ES dead
Steel Grey '93 480 Turbo sold and believed dead

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:59 pm

Cheers for that peeps...

Just for clarification...what exactly are the topmounts and what purpose do they serve?

with regards to the wishbones, i replaced my drivers side when i had the argument with the kerb. I had debated the passenger side, but it didn't look too bad (as in rusty) I can't say having the new one on the drivers side i've noticed much difference. Would i notice much? I suppose for the sake of £48 it's prob. worth doing, as my mate (Mechanic) has offered to fit springs or springs/shocks for £15/£30...saved a few quid there!

I know the 440 is a dif. car, but i had Avo springs on that. They did sag quite a bit over 2 years, more than i thought they would... I thinkif i do go for shocks, i'll prob. steer clear of Bilsteins-i've known other people to comment on the rattling, more form the rears than the fronts. I hate noises like that... Spax seem like a good option. Well known and quite supportive, or so i'v been told. I'd like a nice Spax setup, but it's way more than i want to spend.
VanDerGraaf wrote:and they bloody make them for all sorts of old and common cars but NOT the Volvo 400 series
Isn't that the way for most products r.e. the 400 series... One of the more popular series, but never provided for! I agree with you on that one!

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:28 pm

Just to add, The wishbones made the car stand taller.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:45 pm

Its not so much the rust on the wishbone to worry about, thye are pretty thick, but the condition of the bushes in them. £10 each from volvo.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

V480TI
480 Expert

KONI

Post by V480TI » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:24 pm

Get Koni's preferably yellow ones.

and indeed change the topmounts and bushings, you will notice it mekes a huge difference (without mounting new shocks!!!!!!)

In combination with new shocks it drives as new, just a bit hard necause of the lowering.

greetz
Flamered GT-Turbo 09-1995, Yellow Koni's, Intrax springs,Palm Beach,rear speakers,middle arm rest,Roboumod,Vega's, CT 906 radio/cd with 850 R amplifier, Pioneer speakers allround.
Hausser front and rear bumper, Black Diamond sport clutch, lightened flywheel, flowed head.Audi TT recirc.Stainless Cat replacement, K&N airfilter,Magnecor KV85,NGK colder plugs.
Soon ; Audi/VW calippers, 280mm Renault Sport brake discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

New project : 1987 Silver 480 with B18E engine