Most likely to clonk?

Springs, shock absorbers, wheels. Questions about this can be asked in this category.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Flying Dutchman
480 Newbie

Most likely to clonk?

Post by Flying Dutchman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:21 pm

Rear left makes clonking sounds when driving (not just in bumps). Sounds pretty near when driving (LH) Could it be the shocks? Or more likely some rubber bushings? Got a lot more quieter when I had a friend sit in the back to listen.

It is probably not the exhaust. Could not make it rattle.

cheers!

gsa60
Started learning about 480

Re: Most likely to clonk?

Post by gsa60 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:13 pm

Hi,
I was going to suggest exactly the exhaust. When the rubber supports were perishing in mine it made a sound similar to worn shock absorber.
I tried shaking it by hand. I grabbed the tip of the exhaust and shoke it. It turn out to be the the rubber suports. You can also visually inspect it, it's in an accesible place.
Try having a look at the rubber supports (before and after the muffler) that way You'll check the simplest first.
Cheers

Swanny
Started learning about 480

Post by Swanny » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:54 pm

Did you solve your mystery clonking? I had a similar sound coming from the right rear corner but could only be heard from inside and it didn't seem to coincide with bumps. I had a look and found that the ARB drop link had a tiny amount of play in it, barely noticeable. For the sake of £13 I changed the pair and it's silent now. Might be worth a look.
480 Turbo S/R 'Matilda' - '89 red - Norfolk

CaptainQwerty
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by CaptainQwerty » Wed May 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Possible knocking from rear left;
> Exhaust hanging low, snapped hanger etc. So it is banging off the body or off the axle
> Antiroll bar bushes either on the axle or the little drop link things at each end of the antiroll bar
> The bushes in the Pan hard rod
> The Bushes in the little stabilizer bars

Those are good places to start :D
.:Volvo 480 Turbo:.