favorate tyres? Toyo wear?

Springs, shock absorbers, wheels. Questions about this can be asked in this category.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

favorate tyres? Toyo wear?

Post by timrosser » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi All,

Mot next week and thinking I might get a full set of new tyyes as I have at least two on their last legs, so any views on favorate 480 tyres? Im looking at the much recomened toyo proxies, but have heard they wear quite badly, say 12,000 miles tops.... or the sexy YOKOHAMA PARADA, which people seem to love to regard as a ticket to certan aquaplaning death. Any veiws from you guys? I would probably go to £60 per tyre at a push (the toyos are almost half that tho!)

Tim

Van
480 Connoisseur

Re: favorate tyres? Toyo wear?

Post by Van » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:31 pm

My guide is the tire-test from the German magazine AutoBild. I picked one of the winners: the Fulda Eco Control HP which I could require via the internet for reasonable money.
The Kumho Solus KH17 is in the same price range and scored recommended. Kumho is a brand that in general scores good in these tire tests.
Toyo was not in the results, so either not tested or dropped because of insufficient braking performance. Toyo is not a brand I have seen scoring.
The Yokohama C.drive 2 scored recommended, with the negative remark little under steer in wet and a bit louder.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Thoese are really cheap, and loved by the Germans, who I guess I should trust more than clio racing Vim Deisel wanabes on some of the forums Ive been checking...

thanks for the advice!

Slash01
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Slash01 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:43 pm

I always buy Hankooks no matter what car their for. A friend fitted them to an AW11 as he'd burned through his Pirelli's and he said no matter how hard he tried he couldn't get the tail to let go, they had that much grip. He's never brought anything else since, and neither have I.
There are always ample warnings and there are always subtle signs,
And you would have seen them coming but we gave you too much time.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:19 pm

The Hankook Kinergy Eco also scored recommended with negative remarks for under steer and to much wear.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0