Space saver tyre ?

Springs, shock absorbers, wheels. Questions about this can be asked in this category.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

carl480es
480 Newbie

Space saver tyre ?

Post by carl480es » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi
I was thinking about how useful my spare tyre would be in the event that I might actually use it. Mine (like a lot of other people I imagine is the origininal one), it has never been used, but its coming up to 21 years old.
Advice from the tyre trade say 6 years is about the life of a tyre. I have been thinking about replacing it, but I don't see them being freely available, obviously Ebay would be a waste of time as I would be just buying another old one.

What do other owners do, or is there a place that sells T105 70R14 tyres?

Any input would be appreciated.

All the best Carl
Black 480ES with 'VOL' in the registration

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Re: Space saver tyre ?

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:24 pm

Personally I'd just make sure it's inflated, holding its pressure and also perform a visual inspection on it-- looking for cracks and bulges (both very unlikely-- chuck it if bulged, consider finding a second hand spare is cracked).

I've driven hundreds of miles on a 1986 480s spare tyre when I had my only ever blow out when I was away from home for a funeral, far, far away. My alloy was knackered so I had to just keep going and there was no issues.

Also, I've driven hundreds of miles on my 1984 Citroen BXs 30 year old spare. The previous owner swapped it over just before I bought it. This was particularly hairy as they were hard and bald!

In the back of a 480, your spare is kept away from the sun and that's what would be most likely to make it crack.

Remember you shouldn't exceed 50mph on the spare and drive accordingly, considering that you have a wheel that's only just over half the width of what you should have. Hence why Newcastle, Morecombe, Cambridge took me for ever on the spare-- and the bloody speedo under-read more than I thought).
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

carl480es
480 Newbie

Post by carl480es » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks for the info, the tyre is like new, it still has the blue stripes on the tread, so I will keep it and just be careful if I do have to use it.

I suppose the advice from a company that sells tyres would be slightly bias towards buying new ones on a regular basis, lol.

Regards

Carl

heavend
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by heavend » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:32 am

Being that the space saver has been tucked away out of the elements it's probably fine. Inspected for cracks etc. It's only ever meant to be a 'get you to a repair shop' tyre so longevity in use isn't a huge factor. Pack a can of mousse in the car just in case you need to reinflate the full size road wheel.

classicswede
480 Newbie

Post by classicswede » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:58 pm

UV is what kills the rubber so as long as it has been covered it should be ok. Just check it for any signs of cracking.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:13 am

I had to use mine several months ago to get to the workshop because of a flat tyre. I hadn't checked pressure for long time and it was enough to cover the 2 miles, but at the workshop first thing I did was inflate it .
In a serious event I would have the car recovered by the road service. From 2015 on the replacement car subscription is compulsory. They only take the extra money to pay high wages to the board by the way.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0