Snapped springs

Springs, shock absorbers, wheels. Questions about this can be asked in this category.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Tael
480 Newbie

Snapped springs

Post by Tael » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:17 am

Welll just back from another MoT for the Celeb, everything was fine and wouldhave passed apart from one small issue, BOTH front springs have bloody snapped. :angry:
In exactly the same place too (within a cm of each other it appears) I assume that this is a usual failure and they are known for it? Admittedly havent been driving it everyday recently, but at 111k miles it seems a bit strange.

Are the standard springs available anywhere? all i seem to be able to locate is lowered items, which while my caddy is on coilovers and dropplates seems like fun, the 480 is meant to be the 'sensible' & economic option on the drive when i need to go more than 20miles (my other vehicle is a Grand Cherokee, which nowadays is a little painful on fuel)

Oh and in a possibly unrelated issue (possibly not) the bloody infocentre decided to pack up on the way back from the (now failed) MoT. I have never had a single electrical issue on the car before, in the 2 3/4 years ive had it. I have had a bit of an issue recently with water in the footwells though, though due to the good weather its totally dry ATM so why would the infocentre decide to pack up now, when it worked fine with a small pond in each footwell before?? :wall:
'95 Celebration 111/480 Satin White

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Snapped springs

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:49 am

snapped front springs are not a weakness on these cars you are just unlucky !

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Re: Snapped springs

Post by Captain Slow » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Snapped springs are pretty common due to the european manufacturers (of the springs) not properly flattening off the ends, thereby creating a weakpoint.
Apparently many of the asian manufactured ones are finished properly
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()