Radius Arms -what are they for?

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Macaroon
Advanced 480 rookie

Radius Arms -what are they for?

Post by Macaroon » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:04 am

Can anybody tell me what the radius arms do?

They seem to connect the rear wheel mount thingy to the rear crossmember and mine are not in good shape. Following a parking prang (I was stationary) I checked under my rear bumper and it don't look good.

One of the top brackets for the radius arm has been bent and the other is rather corroded around the bush. It wasn't picked up in my recent MOT (tho I failed for other reasons) but I am thinking I shouldn't go there for a crash repair quote as I need a retest next week...

Are they important? I think the Volvo parts book calls them torque rods. Should I be worried...?
Tonee: '93 Two Tone. High mileage but nice 'n' tidy.
Sheba: '91 ES Paris Special. Love that leather, baby. Scrapped and used as a spares car.

POE
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

rear radius

Post by POE » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:46 pm

hi , the rear radius arms stop the axle from swaying to and frow and at the same time the bushes give slight movement for comfortable driving, hope that makes sense :wink: .,.,.,.,.kev
1989 480 turbo ,saffron pearl, half leather with richmod and full custom bodykit

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:40 pm

Funnily enough I just got a quote today for a pair of radius arms from Braydon Motor Company,£29.60 each plus the VAT.They come with the bushes already pressed in!Yey!

Theyre on 0208 985 2255

Out of interest the trailing arms with bushes came in at a silly £85.50 plus VAT each :eek: These are the straight arms which go from the rear axle to the rear panel.They're also known,by Volvo,as Torque Arms.

Other ones they quoted me for were the Panhard Rod bushes @ £10.80 each plus VAT.Finally,the Anti Roll Bar Bushes came in at only £4.05 each plus VAT.Mind you Ive been quoted £3.00 each from Volvo this week with Volvo Club Discount @ 10%

Steve. :hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

Macaroon
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: .

Post by Macaroon » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:39 pm

catgroom wrote:Out of interest the trailing arms with bushes came in at a silly £85.50 plus VAT each :eek: These are the straight arms which go from the rear axle to the rear panel.They're also known,by Volvo,as Torque Arms.
I think I mean trailing arms then. They trail backwards (maybe not to the rear member but connect to the rear bumber member, pretty much) and I'm pretty sure Volvo call them Torque Arms.

Anyway, things have moved on and I am unlikely to be doing any repairs as the insurance want to write her off and that may be the kindest thing for her. I am trying to keep her for spares, tho. :cry:

Cheers

Rich
Tonee: '93 Two Tone. High mileage but nice 'n' tidy.
Sheba: '91 ES Paris Special. Love that leather, baby. Scrapped and used as a spares car.

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:15 pm

Catgroom, you've got it the wrong way round, the thin ones from the rear bumper member(almost) to the stub axle are teh cheap ones (Edd replaced his cos you can't get the bushes separately)
The square section ones from the axle to the section behind the sill, they would be expensive, however you can get the bushes separately.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:35 pm

Thx Chris!

Yes I should know better here!Ive just shelled outo ver £100 recently for all rear axle bushes.

Sorry everyone!

:cry:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20