Power steering - do i need it?

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

owen080808
Advanced 480 rookie

Power steering - do i need it?

Post by owen080808 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:35 pm

Just a crazy thought that i might as well put 'out there'

i read that the power steering is speed sensetive (how much im not sure) and i always like to know exactly whats going on through the feel of the steering. I'm not considering removing p/s altogether (think this might involve chaging front subframe or at least some parts for those found on an older 4XX vehicle) but some extra weight to the steering might be nice on winding roads.

If the steering gives different levels of assistance at different speeds, because the assistance offered if obviously variable would it be possible to alter something (electronically or mechanically) to make the steering a little heavier and hopefully feel more precise? I accept that its usefull when parking/in town, if it could be pinned down exactly what part of the electrical system governed the assistance it might be possible to even add a 'sport mode' type switch which would add/remove the nessecary resistor from the circuit so that the p/s thought the car was moving faster than it was... thus resulting in more steering feel.

i know it probably wont be this simple, and indeed messing with 480 electrics if tempting fate ;) but its an idea that popped into my head is all, possible?
Currently car-less

| '92 turbo + Rich mod | Sold

| '90 turbo + Seized engine | gone to the volvo dealer in the sky

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/owen080808/480%20turbo/avatar.jpg[/img]

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 pm

its not electrically controlled, it runs off the engines crank pulley so the faster the engine runs the faster the pump goes and there must be some sort of bypass valve that bleeds off the pressure when it gets to a certain level, reducing the amount of assistance.
You really dont want to do without the P/S, try turning off the engine when your driving and see how heavy it is! (not all the way off or the steering lock will kick in and you'll crash :)
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

owen080808
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by owen080808 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:36 pm

yeah i know i dont wanna do without it thats for sure!

but knowing that its not electrical kinda seals the deal, ho hum was just a thought anyways

cheers

Owen
Currently car-less

| '92 turbo + Rich mod | Sold

| '90 turbo + Seized engine | gone to the volvo dealer in the sky

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/owen080808/480%20turbo/avatar.jpg[/img]

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:44 pm

dont think its that heavy really....youre all spoiled is what it is!!

matbat took the ps off one of his....blinky perhaps?
dont think it was a major job.....swapped the steering rack and a few other bits i think?
milfus would know.
rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:30 am

Yes Mat did remove the power rack and install and 400 NON PAS rack without a problem, I can find out how if you really wanna know!

Mat said it made the steering more direct BUT at low speeds it's not worth it and would not do it again!

Did it give more power? Yes so slight, His advice is not to do it.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT