Front wheel bearing problem

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

autotechnique
480 Newbie

Front wheel bearing problem

Post by autotechnique » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:41 pm

Drive shaft nut appeared to keep coming loose. I was wondering why? Having tightened it every so often, the last time I went to tighten it, I was left with the nut and a small stub of drive shaft in my socket - using very little force!!
Dismantled the hub and renewed wheel bearing. The bearing doesn't completely fill the gap between the two retaining circlips in the hub, which means that it's able to float! Obviously this isn't right, but the shop which sold me the bearing insists it's correct!!! As I had got someone else to press out the old bearing I don't have it for comparison, but I suspect that was the original cause of my having to 'tighten' the drive shaft nut. In fact, I was merely 'chasing' the bearing down the hub???
Can any one tell me the depth of the correct bearing, please, between the two circlips?? Do you have a Volvo part number for this? Thanks.
1989 480ES non turbo; non ABS.

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:03 pm

Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Zackspeed280
480 Newbie

What a sh*t design

Post by Zackspeed280 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:22 pm

Well, the noise I thought was coming from my gearbox was just a passenger wheel bearing undoing itself!! What a crap design, even my Capris are better (and they were designed in the 60s!) I can see why there isn't a cover over the bearing carrier on my car - the only way to ge the torque on it is do do it in gear, handbrake on with the car on its wheels!! Just pop thee wheel cap off and slide in the socket!!!

There are some lock-tight fluids that are stronger than the average stuf your motor-centre will know about and when I find some I'll post the description.
Far too many Capris in various build states
Westfield 2.0 Sport
Subaru Impreza Turbo Wagon
Volvo 480 2.0 Black '94
Range Rover 3.9 V8