Biting the bullet!

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ReVolvoLution
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Biting the bullet!

Post by ReVolvoLution » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:47 pm

Well after almost getting catapulted from the tarmac while giving the 480 some stick round a bend and hitting the smallest of bumps the other day i've decided to get the plastic out and do the suspension at long last.

So far on the hit list I've got Shocks, Springs (ordering tomorrow) and Wishbones but is there anything else I should check/replace while doing this because I dont really want to pull it all apart a second time?

Cheers in advance for any info

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:12 pm

wish bones will make it a much firmer ride!

get some new front drop links as you can see in the picture one was bent.

Fitted

Also top mounts for the shocks, Ask chris1roll about those. New bushes for the fronts and rears as the old will be stuff (vader awaiting these)
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

ReVolvoLution

Post by ReVolvoLution » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:27 pm

:D Top man!

Looking at them drop links there not adjustable for lowering the suspension a bit. Can you get various lengths? Dont want to upset the camber.... or will they not effect it in that sort of way? :?

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:14 pm

Not sure but no one has said anything bad after they lower the car.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:32 am

They're just for the ARB...IMHO it wouldn't matter what length they are...they're not under any load when the car is going straight....so long as they're the same length.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:15 pm

Just my twopenneth worth.

Chris 1 Roll,Rich Pruen and I have had this discussion at length in the past.

The convo started cos Rich does have the Volvo lowering kit on his Turbo.

It consisted,interestingly,of 30mm drop springs BUT the a)anti roll bar links were 5mm shorter too,as was the rear panhard rod,yes just 5mm!

In essence,when you lower the car,the rear panhard rod (when you let the car down off the jack) skews to one side slightly unless all the other parts are equally changed.

This would,in time,wear tyres and makre your car crab along the road UNLESS you get the rear and front track aligned.They do this as a mtter of course when front tracking is done at my place.If I remember correctly,the track rods are equally wound over the rack to line up the front and rear wheels.

By the way,this is why 480s pull slightly to the left even when tracked 100% spot bollock,its dues to the rod being at an angle to the right,if it was to the left our cars would pull out toward the centre of the road.

Groomus :hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

ReVolvoLution

Post by ReVolvoLution » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:19 pm

Well thanks for all the info guys, Most of it should be here by the middle of next week ( :D ) and gona start tearing in to it next weekend so i'll let you know how I get on once its all fitted and been tracked up at my mates garage