Dead seal in the back

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

pol
480 Is my middle name

Dead seal in the back

Post by pol » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:33 am

G'day bruce!

My car sounds like i have a baby seal in the back whenever i go over any small bumps.

I'd like to change all my shocks and bushes at the same time.

I've heard bilstein are good. Cant afford Koni's. Are bilstein better than standard?? What should i get, where from and how much please??!

Also I saw some discussion on the standard ride height being preferred to lowered. Disregarding looks, what is a better setup?

Cheers all.

pol

SteveR
480 Veteran

Post by SteveR » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:38 pm

Never heard a baby seal
Steve Robson
---------------
This was my K Reg 2L LtdEdn TwoTone - now sold
At Nurburgring (pic Suddy)

No longer a 480 owner :-(

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:25 pm

Pol!

Bilsteins rattle like a twat so disregard.Theres a metal tube which is not present on the bolts holes which means they rattle from side to side when bolted up!

I used Monroe Sensatrac on the rear 'cos they were cheapo off ebay.

I'd fit Sachs/Boge standard ones on the frontus.

All rear bushes I believe are £10 each.

The seal?Hmm,could be a weak or broken spring.Standard replacement should cure that matey.

You dont mention whether or not you mind sacrificing comfort obviously.If you dont,no quibble in saving up for Koni yellows.Springs?-PI.They are fucking hard but not anywhere near as bad if you fit standard shocks with them.

The seal will stay there until culled but it may break in half,creating semi-refined Camay on the carriageway!

Blubbermongous mate! :D :shock:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

ReVolvoLution
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by ReVolvoLution » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:38 pm

Just before you go to all that expense and change the shocks maybe its worth mentioning the following.....

My Turbo used to squeal like a stuffed pig at the back end every time I hit a bump, pothole, illegal immigrant or chav!
Turns out the little rubber feet on the back hatch were just rubbing on the chassis!!! You can screw them in and out to make the boot hatch sit correctly.... and not sound like a baby seal or any other sea creature for that matter :wink:

Also a touch of lube always works a treat :rofl:

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:49 pm

Yeah lube my seal ya mutha! :hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by 2127 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:03 am

ReVolvoLution wrote:Turns out the little rubber feet on the back hatch were just rubbing on the chassis!!! You can screw them in and out to make the boot hatch sit correctly.... and not sound like a baby seal or any other sea creature for that matter.
Make sure that you set them correctly, otherwise you'll smash your expensive rear light clusters... :!:
Less is often more.