Squeaky steering wheel

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

BlueCruiser
480 Newbie

Squeaky steering wheel

Post by BlueCruiser » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:10 pm

When I turn the steering wheel, there's sometimes a whiny sound which comes from behind the wheel, pretty sure it's not from the front bonnet though, so perhaps not so much to do with power steering fluid I suppose, as this can be heard even when engine is switched off and by just shaking the steering from left to right. In driving this appears only obvious at slow speed. Motorway driving not so much

My impression on these sorts would be perhaps squirting some WD-40 that should solve the problem...but since it's the steering wheel, no idea where to lubricate without taking it apart because I don't know how to(if my novice assumption is anywhere near correct!!)

It's the steering wheel with airbag by the way, with height adjustable lever underneath.

It's just some annoying issues when I turn the car...and I hope to get rid of that

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, Thanks!!!!

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:44 pm

You may a) want to take off the plastic cowling to see if its the rubber consatinad thing rubbing it.
b) Crwal under the dash and listen for where the sound is coming from,could be worn steering column bushes or a rubber grommet thats dry.

Just a guess but worth a look!

Steve. :D
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

SanPhire
480 Rookie

Post by SanPhire » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:25 am

Mine does too!!!

I had the horn contact rings sorted in time for Greta's annual MOT. Afterwards, the squeak is present when ever I turn the wheel anti-clockwise and it's cold. It goes away after a while - I guess the contact rings are just rubbing a little and so I don't worry about it.
Greta - 1994 2.0 480 GT
Herbie - 1972 1.3 VW Beetle Deluxe
Kochanski - 1982 1.7 340 GLE - Gone, but not forgotten