steering pump leak

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

devries
480 Newbie

steering pump leak

Post by devries » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:20 pm

does any one know how the pipe that comes from the pump and takes the rubber hose from the oil return is fixed into the pump? mine leaks at that point and the car now leaves stains on the road after being parked. the steering works really well. is it threaded? I would add an image but I cant figure out how.

greetings, Mark

stu chacks
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by stu chacks » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:17 pm

Hey Derives, recently had to take the return pipe of mine when flushing the steering fluid (you don't want it running low or leaking over your engine bay), mine was fixed with a jubilee clip from memory (rubber pipe to plastic reservoir). Was pretty easy to take off.

Is it leaking from the connection or has your pipe split though? If pipes split would be best to get the replacement hose before disconecting. Make sure the fluid doesn't drop below min though or may knacker your steering pump.

Good luck with it.

Stu.

devries
480 Newbie

metal pipe

Post by devries » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:29 pm

The leak is not on the connection between the rubber hose and the metal pipe comming out of the pump, but between the metal pipe and the pump housing. on a picture i found in the volvo 480 part book i saw that pipe is a seperate part, but i cant see how it is fixed to the pump housing. before i take it all apart i need to know if it is shrunk in or threaded or if i need a whole new pump. my wife uses the car as a daily runner.The car is a dream to drive but the neigbours have allready remarked about the oil stains.
greetings, Mark

SanPhire
480 Rookie

Post by SanPhire » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:56 am

Does your car have aircon? It may make no difference, but on my <aircon> car, the feed pipe if held in with a banjo-bolt - the gaskets are the most likely cause of a leak there, and the return is a jubilee clip over a nipple.

Any other connections are crimped I believe - I wouldn't have a clue about working on them.

On non-aircon cars, the pump is in a different place, and may have a different arrangement.

Hope that helps
Greta - 1994 2.0 480 GT
Herbie - 1972 1.3 VW Beetle Deluxe
Kochanski - 1982 1.7 340 GLE - Gone, but not forgotten