Unsure steering/vibrations issue

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Turnipman
Knows where Volvo is from

Unsure steering/vibrations issue

Post by Turnipman » Wed May 04, 2005 7:53 pm

I think issues with my nasty vibrations have been resolved with the wheels. But i think they new wheels have exentuated a different problem.

I will try to describe it:

A) The steering feels a bit washy at speed

B) When you hit a bump or man hole at say 40mph + it sends shuders through steering wheel for like another 15 yrds

C) The shocks are fuck (I mention this because not sure if it would cause another problem to come to light sooner than expected).

D) Under steer has only now become an issue

I want to this solved soon the car has its MOT in June, will this be picked up by that? So as not to waste my money getting a machaninc serching around the front end for hours at a time where can point him to look?

Turnipman

P.S. gotta love my new wheels

P.P.S Looking at my exhaust manafold it looks just like the one Joe posted pictures of. posting some on that post now

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Wed May 04, 2005 8:47 pm

If the shocks are dead then that's most likely to be the problem, and an MOT fail as well

J
Gwendoyln! They're hanging bicycle parts on me again!

SanPhire
480 Rookie

Post by SanPhire » Mon May 09, 2005 4:36 pm

Sounds like the shocks - the shocks keep the springs from just bouncing up and down like nuttas when you hit bumps, also help the anti-roll bar reducing body roll (hence the dodgy steering + under steer)
You'll need to change out the shocks for the MOT, it's one of the tests they do coz they keep the suspension in control, and more importantly, keep the tyres on the road over bumps under braking/cornering!
They cheap for bog-standard, and easy to fit yourself if you've got a torque wrench or a large breaker bar in your tool kit.
Greta - 1994 2.0 480 GT
Herbie - 1972 1.3 VW Beetle Deluxe
Kochanski - 1982 1.7 340 GLE - Gone, but not forgotten