Power steering failure. i think!?

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

alkurtz
480 Newbie

Power steering failure. i think!?

Post by alkurtz » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:15 pm

The last couple of days ,, I was sure something under the bonnet was becoming more noisy.
on my way hme from work this evening ( about a 15 mile jouney ) had the stereo cranked up and enjoyed a few quick corners, on the A and B roadsn which make my trip to and from work worthwhile.
I't msut have been getting worse , arrived in nottingham centre to pick up the missus . And a loud rattling / dragging , noise, acomanied by a warm synthetic smell beomes obvious. Thought my exhaust was dragging on the road.!

Jumpped out and looks under the car to see oil pouriong from the auxillary belt area of the car.
Shit ! , Was bricking , thought it was engine oil.. but then it stopped after a litre or so , ( and was red in apperance )_ then it clicked.
Soooo pleased my engine hadn't given up .. its only done 86K.
Managed to drive it back with no power steering ,, made a proper racket and the steering was ( as you would expect , really heavy) .

But , Now i am trying to fathom. What will a new pump cost , how difficult will it be to change if it is the pump ?

Any tips people , will be aplpreciated.
:?

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:34 pm

if the fluid has leaked out everywhere from the aux drive belt area it sounds more like the reservoir that has cracked.
this is happening on mine as it weeps a bit of fluid and i have to top it up!

take the reservoir off the car, plug the holes for the hoses and fill it up and see if/where it leaks from. this will at least help you rule it out if its not the problem. if not it could be the hoses or the rack itself?
its all about trial and error and looking to see where the fluid is coming from :D
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

alkurtz
480 Newbie

Post by alkurtz » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:39 pm

Well ,,
i did put som,e more fluid in , just as a test and it leaked straight out from th pump vacinity. Positive it's not the reservoir. Teh pump is knakerd . Sounds liek a really lump bearing has collapsed in the pump. Will remove tomorrow.
have been to the pub since and made some phone calls and managed to line up a second hand replacement from a source made last summer in ripley. £ 30 :wink:

Will begin the dismantling process tomorrow.
Wish me luck
:?

alkurtz
480 Newbie

Sorted it

Post by alkurtz » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:56 pm

managed to get a pump for £25 at a very friendly volvo / saab breakers in ilkeston. well chudffed!
About a 3 and ahalf hour job . .removal , and refit .

The bearing in the pump had given up and disintegrated .. found a few mangled ball bearig whilst replacing the unit.
Just replaced the unit , refitted the alternator , belt , tentioned it up ,, filled with steering fluiid and , no problems .. touch wood
Little bit tricky getting spanners in and removing nuts / bolts but...

All is good in the world of 480.

V480TI
480 Expert

changing the fluid

Post by V480TI » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:29 pm

How do you change the fluid of the power steering ??
Do you also need to bleed it ???

How are you sure you will get oll the old fluid out of the system i.e. how do you empty it fully ???

greetz and thanks
Flamered GT-Turbo 09-1995, Yellow Koni's, Intrax springs,Palm Beach,rear speakers,middle arm rest,Roboumod,Vega's, CT 906 radio/cd with 850 R amplifier, Pioneer speakers allround.
Hausser front and rear bumper, Black Diamond sport clutch, lightened flywheel, flowed head.Audi TT recirc.Stainless Cat replacement, K&N airfilter,Magnecor KV85,NGK colder plugs.
Soon ; Audi/VW calippers, 280mm Renault Sport brake discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

New project : 1987 Silver 480 with B18E engine

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:20 pm

I have my way, which is to disconnect the return pipe at the top of the reservoir and run the engine.

Worked good for me, but some say it's not a good idea...

pol