Steers to the left...

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MrE
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Steers to the left...

Post by MrE » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:43 pm

Hi there people, i'm looking for some ideas about my 480 turbo. Chris, Richard and i have spent many hours puzzling over it.. Basically it pulls to the left all the time and gets worse at speed. :badmood: I have checked the car over and can't find any damage. I've had the tracking done several times to no avail. I made an adjustable panard rod to try an centre the rear wheels due to lowering(chris mentioned in a resent thread..), this did not help. There is no adjustment on the rear axel as on some 480's and i've also changed the rear trailing arm bushes. The steering rack is definately centered, but every time it is tracked the problem is not cured the steering wheel ends up more off centre!! :angry: I realize having wide wheels and lowered suspension does help but surely it shouldn't be that bad. I was wondering if one of the subframe or wishbone bushes was knackered could that cause it?
Also does anyone know if different models have different track widths on the rear axel? The 16" wheels i bought off Jamo scrub badly on the outer edge of the wheel arch when loaded up. I've cut away as much as i can now and Jamo did no arch modification with the same setup! :badmood:
Any ideas would be much appreciated.... cheers Edd.
1993 Es, turbo conversion. First ceramic coated engine running sweet. Sold! :( miss her
www.teamvolvo.co.uk

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:54 pm

The steering rack is definately centered, but every time it is tracked the problem is not cured the steering wheel ends up more off centre!!
How about adjusting the streering wheel when they do the tracking?

Has this problem only started when you lowered the car?

I have 205/40/17 scrub a tiny amount now that it's got the correct side walls on the tyres and not those falkens
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Murf

Post by Murf » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:59 pm

yours used to be an ES right? i think i remember that turbos have a slightly different rear track which lets you fit wider wheels.
why not try the wheels on richards car as its lowered but was a turbo from the factory and see how much they scrub.
i used to run 15's with 195 tyres and lowered 40mm on a turbo and there was absolutely masses of room!!

you might have to fit a turbo rear axle?!
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

MrE

Post by MrE » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:05 pm

Well the car veered slighty when i bought it and i just put it down to the tracking being out slightly. The more i've modded the suspension etc and had it tracked the worse its got. :x I'm gonna try measuring the track widths and i might have to try the wheels on a turbo shell. Why couldn't they make em all standard!!! :?
1993 Es, turbo conversion. First ceramic coated engine running sweet. Sold! :( miss her
www.teamvolvo.co.uk

Benji

Post by Benji » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:11 pm

Sounds like the panhard rod could be damaged, have you checked this?

The other thing it could be some models came with adjustable rear suspension, so as the rear beam can be accurately lined up.
2.0l es single seater!!!

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:41 pm

MrE wrote: I made an adjustable panard rod to try an centre the rear wheels due to lowering(chris mentioned in a resent thread..), this did not help. There is no adjustment on the rear axel as on some 480's and i've also changed the rear trailing arm bushes.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

Benji

Post by Benji » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:45 pm

Doh, missed that bit, oops new glasses for me :shock:
2.0l es single seater!!!