Vibrations through steering wheel

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Turnipman
Knows where Volvo is from

Vibrations through steering wheel

Post by Turnipman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:19 pm

I used to own a 110 county landrover was a lot of on and off the road, maybe to much fun off the road. The car used vibrate really badly when nearing its top speed. The problem was finally solved by chaging the Panyard rod bushes, the old ones were so badly worn.

I can't take my 480 above like 90mph cos of simular feeling vibrations through the steering wheel. Now its not a big problem but the problem with the landy just got worse and worse untill it did at it at like 30mph, i don't want to this happen with this car.

So does the 480 have something simular to panyard rob bushes or other bushes at the front that could be causing this problem, any ideas chaps.

Any ideas?

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:13 pm

the 480 only has a panhard rod at the back.
vibration could be caused by unbalanced wheels,have they been checked recently?

could also be top mounts, ball joints or maybe anti roll bar droplinks or ARB bushings or probably a few other things that i dont know about :lol:

ps, you werent off roading in your 480 were you??
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Turnipman
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Turnipman » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:28 pm

nope no offroading the 480 but i do ride around with some rather large american football players that can't be helping the matter. I have to get the shims check in a few weeks will get my machanic to check the stuff you suggested see if can see anything.

Thanks for the help