turning problem

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

lee
480 Is my middle name

turning problem

Post by lee » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:26 pm

I have recently aquired a new problem that i have never come across before.

When i turn the car on full lock to the left all is good. But when i have the car on full lock right i get a really bad noise. I check the car at the road side and couldn't see anything. No wear on the tyre or anything.

I decided to remove the wheel when i got home to discover that the left hand front wheel when on full lock has been eating in to my inner arch. I has worn through the underseal and is now exposing metal.

Does anyone have any idea of what might be wrong.

I'm wondering if its the steering rack??

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:11 pm

WE have the same problem with our race cars. The front left wheel, which is on the outside of the corners (oval track) takes a lot of beating and ended up eating the arch and even rubbing on the wishbone! eventually causing the tyre to burst (costing me first place :angry: :angry: !)
We couldnt work out what caused this untill we had stripped my car at the end of the season and discovered that the mounting points for the wishbone on the subframe had buckled up under the stress, moving the bottom of the tyre in, from a distance the wheels looked like this:
| /
presumably this woudl only happen under extreme circumstances like we put the cars through. Has that wheel been hit on a kerb for example, does anyone else drive your car?!
Have the bushes on the wishbone mounts fallen apart maybe?

In order for the wheel to start touching the bodywork, something must have moved quite a bit.

What about the wheel bearing?

Cheers,
Chris.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:31 pm

Thank you very much Chriss I roll, you just gave a whole new light why the tyre guys couldn't get the howling from the left wheel ok, after the car was alined (tracking) Its getting worse and the tyre is worn on the outside only (the howling stops at a quick right bent.... (so also I / )

Next time I stick my head under the car I will be checking the wishbone rubber bushes

Thanks

JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:18 pm

My sisters makes that noise now too....
She swerved to avoid soome W~~~R on the wrong side of the road with foglamps and high beams on, and slid the front of the car into the high kerb, demolishing the edge of the alloy, buckling the subframe, splitting the top of the strut tower away from the bulkhead, and splitting the front box section. Then the rear of the car swung round, bending something at the back (by this stage there was no point investigating what) and smashing the bumper on the crash barrier thing.

Bye bye 480 :cryhard:

She was quite shook up and really pissed off..
of course the other car didn't stop. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Looking at another one for her tonight, 1989/90 ES with only 70,000 miles on it. Lets hope its nice! :D
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

lee
480 Is my middle name

Post by lee » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:25 pm

I have done that before. I too gone rammed off the road in my old ES. I smashed an alloy bent the wishbone, hub and buckled the subframe.

But the thing is i have done that too this one. I won't enen go up a kerb!!!

But I have lowered it. But i have had it lowered for ages now and its only just started.