My new 480 throws up a problem....expensive??

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

asterix
480 Newbie

My new 480 throws up a problem....expensive??

Post by asterix » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:13 am

Hi There -

I bought my 480 yesterday, had a great trip home (as I mentioned in the General section)....however, I went on a long trip today, and on the way back it's thrown up a problem.

The car was great on the way out, 60 miles of motorway (M25, A12). On the way back to London tonight, though, it was pouring with rain, and there was loads of standing water on the road. Every time the passenger side front wheel went through a large puddle of water, it set off a REALLY loud hammering/rumbling/roaring noise that vibrated right through the car; after aout 15 seconds it would die away. Experimenting carefully, I drove over one of the rumble strips at the side of the carriageway, which had the same effect; alarming, but died away quickly.

There are no other symptoms: no knocks or clonks on steering/bumps etc, the car behaves perfectly. I was concerned that a wheelbearing was about to self-destruct, but the car was only MOTd on Monday, and there's no whining or wobbles through the wheel, just that terrible noise!!

If anyone can make a suggestion I'd be very grateful indeed; I'm happy to work myself on the car, but have no idea what this would be....
Happy driving!!

Bruce

'91 ES, cheap but great....

SOOTY
480 Newbie

Post by SOOTY » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:21 am

Yes my 480ES also does the same thing, first time this happened to me i stopped & got out to check what it was & found nothing wrong, but what i have put it down to is the exhaust pipe knocking on the undersideof the bodywork (long hot pipe subjected to cold water on one side, results in pipe contracting causing it to bend & knock on bodywork. Pipe warms up, pipe straightens, Knocking stops).
So you have no real problem :D just keep away from standing water.

hope that has put your mind at rest.

Ben Harris
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ben Harris » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:33 am

The exhaust on my ES also used to knock against the chassis (although only when going over bumps, turning left very sharply, and going backwards!). Last time it was up on the ramp, it was fairly obvious that it was knocking against the heatshield for the petrol tank at the back. After failing miserably to stop it knocking by adjusting the rubber mounts, the mechanic was able to manouver the heatshield (with the careful aid of a hammer) so that it wasn't quite as close to the exhaust. This appears to have solved it, and it's only if I go over bumps really quickly that I hear it now.
1998-2003 ... 1981 Austin Mini City
2003-2005 ... 1989 Volvo 480 ES (B18E)
2004-2006 ... 1994 Volvo 480 ES (B20F)
2006-2008 ... 1995 Mitsuibshi FTO GPX
2008-2008 ... 1994 Volvo 480 Turbo Auto (with RichMod)
2009-Onwards ... 1991 MK1 Eunos Roadster
2013-Onwards ... 1997 Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 (Wagon)

Sophie
480 Is my middle name

Post by Sophie » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:32 am

it happens with 205 GTi's aswell...not a problem, you just get a bit of a scare when it happens ! :lol: :rofl:
480 Turbo > 1989 Graphite Grey
MR2 MK1 > 1989...
[img]http://membres.lycos.fr/cosworth/la_team-bordelaise/Sophie.gif[/img]

Renter
Started learning about 480

Post by Renter » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:47 pm

Mine had the same knocking, it touched the part iwo the rear axle were the exhaust runs over it.
I got new donut rubbers, and put some jubilee clips around them to make it a bit stiffer.
Also modified the exhaust hangers a bit by force.
No more bumping.

Regards, Renter
Volvo 480 2.0 ES, 1995, Paris Blue

asterix
480 Newbie

Post by asterix » Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:56 pm

Cheers all - This has set my mind at rest!!
:lol:
I can now get on with doing the basic servicing....discovered today that the rotor arm was so corroded I;m surprised that the poor car runs at all! Now replaced, going very well....
Happy driving!!

Bruce

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:52 pm

yep possible. my exhaust viberates to agains the bodywork, but it viberates to the right toward the square tube infront of the lh-r wheel thats part of the body work there.

I hung a sping horizontally (had no rubber available) in the mounts of where the load served brakeforcer was in the first 480's on the other side of the pot. Must work I think, no more rubble in rh curves

but maybe its some of the plastic shields in the fender gone loose ?

If nothing works here, please record the noise and put it on the site ?
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

C6REW
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

KNOCKING

Post by C6REW » Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:00 pm

Hi Asterix,

I see that Ben has mentioned that reversing caused knocking on his 480. It may be worth you trying this.

If you get a clonk or a knock doing this then it is very likely that you have an engine mount problem. Not serious if you catch it soon enough.

Whilst difficult to tell unless you have another car nearby you could try rocking the engine and see if that appears to be the problem as well.

Sorry to be negative but it really would cause a problem if you did not fix an engine mount fault.

I am sure others will write with other suggestions.

Regards

Chris

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:40 pm

can you maybe record the noise with your phone and post it here ? this works very well and is done before...

asuming something is very dangerous. It can indeed be the engine mounts, there for its important to know exatly what noise you mean

luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

asterix
480 Newbie

Post by asterix » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:57 pm

I'll have a go...I've owned all sorts of cars over the years, have never heard anything similar.

The car is perfectly silent when turning/reversing/going over rough roads or bumps, it was ONLY going through big puddles of water or over 'rumble strips' on the motor way that this happened. I've had a good look at the suspension, can see nothing wrong, and engine mounts appear to be fine, certainly no excess engine movement.

I must still inspect the exhaust, I'll keep you informed of any progress.... :?
Happy driving!!

Bruce