Steering problem - why does it feel bad?

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dommett
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Steering problem - why does it feel bad?

Post by Dommett » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:01 am

The steering in my newly acquired 480 is really poor.
I am used to driving my S40 T4 with uprated suspension, so I realise it's probably not going to feel like that, but still doesn't feel "right".

Symptoms:
* The steering wheel feels very tight, no wobble there.
* When steering at slow speeds, it seems a little slow to react, not very sharp.
* When driving at constant speed i.e. 30mph it feels like it's 'wondering', as if their slight movement, like being tramlined.
* When going round corners at speed (bearing in mind I haven't been over 50 in it yet, so not that much speed!) it feels vague as if I'm generally pointing it in the right direction, but I just don't feel in control of it.
* When braking, it stops fairly well, and doesn't appear to pull to either side.
* Can't feel any particular vibration through the steering wheel.

I need to take it to the garage, but would be nice to show the mechanic I know what I'm talking about!
There may possibly be strange noises too, but the exhaust makes so much noise at the moment, I wouldn't know!!

Please does anybody have any ideas or had any similar problems. Any resolution ideas etc.

Thanks
Tom
[size=84][color=#567ACC]
Volvo S40 T4 CD (~200bhp)
Saab 9-3 SE Turbo Convertible (~230bhp)
[/color][/size]

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:21 am

i had this too!
turns out it was the ball joints, i only needed one replaced but ended up replacing both for piece of minf.

jack the wheels up off the ground with the car in gear, grap the road wheel at the top and bottom and move it in a kind of towards you/away from you fashion (ie, push in the top and pull out the bottom at the same time)
if this is the problem you will feel play and be able to wiggle the wheel about.
if this isnt the problem just generally wiggle things about until you find something with play in it.

ball joints are about 15 each but you will need a ball joint splitter to remove the old ones, not to bad a job but the bolts that hold the ball joint onto the wishbone are ususally rsusted soilid and need to be hacksawed off.

i'd go outside and take a photo for you but there is thunder and lightning and its totally pissing down!!!
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Murf

Post by Murf » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:37 am

if they are badly gone you might even be able to feel play by putting your finger on it and feeling the movement, go check!

1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Dommett

Post by Dommett » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:41 am

I'm pretty sure when I was putting the (very nice) new alloys on it the left-front wheel had a lot of movement - felt like the wheel wasn't on properly, but it was and the whole brake assembly etc moved.
Unfortunately, I've never changed a wheel before (not even a puncture) so I have no idea what it's supposed to feel like!

I will let a garage do this - I would not be able to do it. I don't have proper tools, ramps or any level ground!!
I assume it's worth getting new parts if they are £15? (pattern or volvo?)

Is there anything else worth asking them to check whilst it's on the ramp - like any worn bushes or top-mounting arm thingy's ? I want them to check the tracking as well, as the tyres that came off were worn on the inside.
Also - the steering wheel isn't quite on straight - I think this is a very minor job - is that right? (not centered when going straight)

Not fair - I was hoping to have some lightening down in Devon, but nothing (apart from annoying tv interference). I haven't seen a good storm in ages.
It did absolutely chuck it down last night though, and very very pleased to report, the car appears to be dry inside. (phew!)

Thanks loads and loads - I'm going down the garage this afternoon for them to wiggle.
Tom
[size=84][color=#567ACC]
[/color][/size]

Murf

Post by Murf » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:47 am

sounds like thats the problem then!!
15 non volvo from euro car parts, wont take a garage long to do it and it will handle like magic when you get it back!
you'll never drive your T4 again!

dont ask them to look for problems as they will think you wont know what you are talking about and just make up a list of things that dont need done!
if you trust them,tell them to check for play or wear in the front and rear anti roll bar drop links as these are common problems. if you get these replaced plus ball joints it will be like driving a new car!!

is that all your charging problems sorted??
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Dommett

Post by Dommett » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:55 am

Murf wrote:i'd go outside and take a photo for you but there is thunder and lightning and its totally pissing down!!!
Looks dry in the photo to me ;-)
Tom
[size=84][color=#567ACC]
[/color][/size]

Murf

Post by Murf » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:08 am

took it last september when i needed a part number and posted it here so someone could look it up for me. had it lying about on my hard drive, still.

you must be a very lucky or very carefull driver if you have reached 24 without ever changing a wheel!!

Unfortunately, I've never changed a wheel before (not even a puncture) so I have no idea what it's supposed to feel like!
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Dommett

Post by Dommett » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:10 am

Thanks - I'll write the anti-roll thing on the back of my hand ;-)

Yeah - that's why I wanted a few things to ask them to check, so it sounds like I know what I want fixing, but it's a local garage I've used before, and they seemed pretty trustworthy.

Can't wait - hope it does feel better :-)
But I think I'll still be driving my T4 - That thing sticks to the road like glue, (although slightly painful over potholes due to the lack of any suspension travel!!)

I certainly hope so, it seems to be ok. The voltmeter does seem to drop when starting
(Artist's impression!)

Black needle = where it usually sits on ignition / car start-up
Grey needle = where it goes to after a few seconds of engine running

The voltmeter does drop when starting, and it takes a little while for the starter motor to get the engine running.

I'll make a short video clip on my camera when I get home - that'll be fun!!
Tom
[size=84][color=#567ACC]
[/color][/size]

Murf

Post by Murf » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:15 am

when you find the artist that did that impression, shoot them!! :lol:
that is pretty similar to what mine does, needle rests slightly higher though, maybe cos its the bigger 90A air-con alternator!?

reckon a lowered/stiffened 480 would give a T4 a good run for its money in the handling stakes, just wait till you get your ball joints sorted!
theres only one way to find out........

not arguing,mind! just expressing an opinion! :D
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Dommett

Post by Dommett » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:22 am

Murf wrote:you must be a very lucky or very carefull driver if you have reached 24 without ever changing a wheel!!
Oi - 23 1/2 !!!

I guess maybe (?) I have been driving since 17, never had any bumps or scrapes, punctures etc. therefore I have a lovely 6 years NCB, which helps to insure a group 16 car for £500.

Possibly lucky, but maybe also careful, drivers are horrendous around here, have avoided many people pulling in front/driving down the middle of the road, changing lanes on roundabouts without indicating etc etc etc!!

Don't get me wrong though, I drive a T4, before that an uprated S40 2.0 and before that the obligatory Saxo VTR. I'm certainly no slouch, just pick the right roads and conditions to drive enthusiastically :D
Tom
[size=84][color=#567ACC]
[/color][/size]

Dommett

Post by Dommett » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:31 am

it may be that the battery I got from the scrapyard isn't as powerful as it should be - I'll check what amp it is at lunch.

Well, I will be a very happy-bunny if it handles even half as well as my T4 when it's all sorted.
Maybe lowered with stiffened springs - but at the moment, it's a new experience a) driving over potholes and not wincing and b) nose-diving under breaking.
Tom
[size=84][color=#567ACC]
[/color][/size]

Murf

Post by Murf » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:32 am

as for the off centre steering wheel, both mine are not straight when the car is travelling in a straight line so i wouldnt worry about it.
if it really upsets you its pretty easy to change!
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

Dommett

Post by Dommett » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:45 am

Small things bug me! It's such a nice wheel (daytona) seems a shame not to have it on straight.

Not a big deal right now, as the steering goes where it wants at the moment!!!

Cool - I'll get the garage to sort it while their doing the tracking.
Tom
[size=84][color=#567ACC]
[/color][/size]