Power Steering Fluid spec

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Power Steering Fluid spec

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:16 pm

I am changing (or attempting) to change the pipes on the power steering, once I wrangle the fittings off, wish I'd tried last week rather than this week as the fittings are 'difficult to access' with a normal spanner or even a shortened ring with a slot cut into it to go over the steel pipe :cry:

The hand book says 'Type F or Type G'

I have an old (very) bottle of Duckhams Q-Matic which is ESW-M2C-33F and G

given the oil was for a car I had 30years ago I'm surprised in some ways that it would still appear to be the 'correct spec' !!

or am I not reading the spec correctly??
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Re: Power Steering Fluid spec

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:00 pm

Yep i'm with you Alan, nothing fancy Dexron-III.

Unlike transmissions where they may be sensitive to types, I think any old red ATF will do for PAS.

Grade "F" dates back to the 90's, so 30+ years entirely possible if its been stored OK.

Good luck, its a messy old job.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:05 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:00 pm
Yep i'm with you Alan, nothing fancy Dexron-III.

Unlike transmissions where they may be sensitive to types, I think any old red ATF will do for PAS.

Grade "F" dates back to the 90's, so 30+ years entirely possible if its been stored OK.

Good luck, its a messy old job.
Many thanks, confirmed my thoughts.

I've managed to wiggle the cooler pipe down below edge of bumper and pulled off the hose there, after I emptied the reservoir at the top so minimal leakage (so far) :wink: .

how on earth does the supply pipe come out, much wiggling & swearing? :angry:

the car is fitted for 'Air-Con' so the pipe is a banjo fitting with a 6 inch horizintal section almost designed to prevent lowering down past the alternator/pump etc :(
Alan

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:56 pm

ruddy difficult access so had to 'splash the cash' for these 1/2" drive 17mm hex, not sure why I'd need a bi-hex as the hex was solid with a 10" extension to make sure held straight onto fitting, and to be honest not too tight :-)

for information 16mm thread into the rack with olives onto the pipe. (might be 10mm or 3/8" as that is the pipe onto banjo at the top next to pump )

Note that this is a 'late model' with the olive seated DIRECTLY into the rack, the earlier cars had a fitting with a flat copper washer PLUS a cone setting, i guess this saved Volvo 'ten bob' per car? :hopping:
Alan

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:08 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:05 pm

I've managed to wiggle the cooler pipe down below edge of bumper and pulled off the hose there, after I emptied the reservoir at the top so minimal leakage (so far) :wink: .

how on earth does the supply pipe come out, much wiggling & swearing? :angry:

the car is fitted for 'Air-Con' so the pipe is a banjo fitting with a 6 inch horizintal section almost designed to prevent lowering down past the alternator/pump etc :(
AC cars are bloody awful to work on, fullstop!

I've done power steering swaps much like I do auto fluid flushes. Remove the return hose, stick into a suitable receptacle, run briefly, top up!