Rear trailing arm replacement

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

andyb2000
Started learning about 480

Rear trailing arm replacement

Post by andyb2000 » Sun May 22, 2022 3:24 pm

Hi folks,

I'm still working away at getting my 1994 Volvo 480 2.0 back on the road, all metalwork, welding, etc, done so starting to re-assemble the rear axle.
I've seen Jay-Kay-Em's great post on renewing the bushes on the rear, however as I've only got a basic hydraulic press (spring compressor type so not the right fittings!) I'm apprehensive to go down the pressing bush out, back in route.

I've been searching everywhere to see if you can get the rear trailing arms complete, but doesn't appear there are any sources for them at all. Does anyone know of any sources? I've tried all the usuals and nobody seems to have them now.

If not, I'll go down the bush pressing route thanks to the good info on the forum.

Thanks in advance folks,

Andy
Thanks for all your help! - Andy
Volvo480 ES 2.0 petrol - 1994 (UK RHD L-reg)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Rear trailing arm replacement

Post by jifflemon » Sun May 22, 2022 6:38 pm

How bad are the arms bushes Andy?

The upper rear torque bushes (the ones you’ve battled with for ages) are always shot. The lower ones don’t seem to suffer as much.

retrokid1983
480 Newbie

Post by retrokid1983 » Mon May 23, 2022 7:32 am

I bought them from here 2 weeks ago https://www.polar-parts.co.uk/

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Mon May 23, 2022 5:37 pm

I think rear arms are worse to find than rear lights!

I had mine refurbished and used these. Said to be v.good quality and don't crunch on entry!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393245770277 ... SwFzZgfZ2H

There are some cheaper ones that pop up when I found those perhaps but Tedgum is the make.

andyb2000
Started learning about 480

Post by andyb2000 » Mon May 30, 2022 2:37 pm

Thanks all.
The bushes aren't looking in great shape so needing replaced unfortunately (@jifflemon I finally got the upper torque bushes out! so please about that).

Looks like polar-parts no longer stock them as none appearing, so out of luck with the easy option of replacing them.

I tried at the weekend to use my spring compressor to push out the old bushes, no luck there, just couldn't get everything lined up right to give it the force needed, so I think it'll be drilling, punching and melting out the old ones.
Putting the replacements in (I've already got) I'll go with threaded bar and some sockets and see how I get on. Might be a long slog though!
Thanks for all your help! - Andy
Volvo480 ES 2.0 petrol - 1994 (UK RHD L-reg)