Free length rear springs

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Free length rear springs

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:40 pm

2 questions:-

what is free length of rear springs?

how are springs held on to beam axle?

I plan to remove the rear axle to clean off the excess rust etc so need to know how much clearance I need under the car to slide out the axle, ideally WITHOUT the springs!

the mount for panhard rod has already been removed, rejuvinated and can be removed again to allow a 3" box section to be slid across the rear to keep back end off the deck without relying on the jacking points. I feel the jacking points are OK for wheel changing but don't fancy the whole back end supported for a fair while and more so if underneath!
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: Free length rear springs

Post by doingitsideways » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:47 pm

Can't help with the spring length without going to my Dad's to dig my originals out.

The rear springs are held the the axle itself by plastic press-in fittings, then just rest in place to the bump stop assembly, which is fixed to the body.
Been a while, but from memory if you tease the inner part of the press-in jobbie out, you can maneuver the spring out. Only once you've released the shock absorbers of course.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Free length rear springs

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:52 pm

doingitsideways wrote:Can't help with the spring length without going to my Dad's to dig my originals out.

The rear springs are held the the axle itself by plastic press-in fittings,
many thanks , I guess I can lift car on jacking points to get an idea of free length but kinda hoped some kind person had some to hand.

no rush as it's dark now in evenings so it will be a week-end task or two before gets tackled, car will be off road for a wee while to get it sorted

, I'll have a prod around to see how to remove the 'press in fittings' :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1