13" steels

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

robwizard
Started learning about 480

13" steels

Post by robwizard » Tue May 27, 2014 8:22 pm

I have some 13" Weller steels which I have kept for some reason or another for about five years in the garage.. thinking about maybe putting them on the 480. The only thing I was thinking is will they clear the discs, only being 13"? I know they might look two small so I might end up sacking it off.. but just curious.

Cheers

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: 13" steels

Post by doingitsideways » Tue May 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Wellers are undeniably cool, but I think they'd be too small for a 480.

Even if they cleared the brakes, which are pretty small to be fair, they would be lost in the arches and look tiny.

Must admit though, I was toying for a while with trying to graft a set of my all time favourite wheels onto a 480 - a polished, diamond cut, deep dished Ford RS 4 spoke. Trouble is, they're only available in 7.5 x 13" :(

http://www.midlandwheels.com/Shop/P-684 ... hined.html

I thought it wouod look pretty awesome slammed on it's backside, so it might work with Wellers too!

Steve :hopping:
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

robwizard

Post by robwizard » Tue May 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Got some coilies in the garage as well which I was kind of thinking.. break out the grinder and welder.. get creative.. result in a decked 480. Then wellers with slightly stretched tyres.. then maybe some JDM style arch flares? Might look amazing? Might look like a metal/fibreglass abortion? Worth a bash!

Cheers

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Tue May 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Ha ha, why not?!

I've dumped mine by about 60mm, over Ronal Turbos with slightly stretched 195/45s and it does look pretty epic to be fair!

That's straight from the VW school of modifying - low and wide. I even get the odd nod from a passing Veedub ;)

Deep down, I'm an old skool Ford nut really, so I'd love to do something with a nod to the "Sarf London" look - slammed on the deck, with deep dished 13s.

Be warned though, too low and it WILL drag it's ass over everything. I can't get over speed bumps and even have to plan a journey to avoid them!

robwizard

Post by robwizard » Wed May 28, 2014 12:20 am

My plan with every car I get is to make it so low that it's just on the verge of being undriveable!

I might have to test fit these wellers sometime over the next few days and update this with pictures..

Cheers

robwizard

Post by robwizard » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:04 am

I think with a better tyre profile.. something slightly stretched and the wheels painted Silver with a center of some sort they would look pretty cool! Lowered with a kit of some sort instead of me standing on the rear bumper.. about two minutes after these pictures were taken we realized the keys were locked in the car which was plenty of fun :hopping: :hopping:

Arches are so bad haha

Cheers

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:25 am

That looks pretty fookin sweet if you ask me!

Slightly stretched tyre to clear the arches a bit, paint the middle gloss black or graphite and keep the rim silver.

Epic!

So do they clear the front brakes ok?

robwizard

Post by robwizard » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:24 pm

I threw one on the front the other day but it started raining so I couldn't do a full investigation but there was no obstruction putting the wheel on. Need to make some spigot rings though as the centre bore was way off. Need to do something about the rear arches though as they are rotten as a pear :angry:

Also got to fit an interior.. finish refurbing the rear lights.. fix the infocentre.. repair numerous trim pieces which I have broken with my fat hands etc.

Plenty to do!!
Last edited by robwizard on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:06 pm

Ha ha ha... There is ALWAYS plenty to do with a 480!!

Just a word of warning; mind the language mate.
Honestly doesn't bother me, I am a builder after all and consider myself an olympic champion of swearing, but I'd hate for someone to moan to the mods and you end up with a ban :kill: ... Your project is far too interesting for that! ;)

Anyway, looking at those Wellers, they've got some serious offset so you may need some fairly serious arch work anyway.

What were they off originally?

robwizard

Post by robwizard » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:16 pm

Damn my foul mouth!! I have amended it accordingly..

The wheels where off a mk1 Golf, then a mk2 Polo both of which required a bit of arch work.. the Polo especially. They are 8x13 and I'm not sure of the offset as it's not stamped on them but I will measure it and check. Probably will set about doing a bit of welding and sorting the rear lights out then come back to this once they are done and have a look at the coilovers/wheels etc. Will have to modify the panhard bar as well to make it adjustable as well though that doesn't look like too much work.

Cheers!! :D