Steel rims and snow tyres

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Les Barbeux
480 Newbie

Steel rims and snow tyres

Post by Les Barbeux » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:36 am

Hi all,

Was toying with the idea of buying snow socks... but the thought of the number of times that I would have to put them on and take 'em off again on a journey made me check out snow tyres......my ex was (I suppose, still is!) German and she was amazed that we don't do this as a matter of course here.
Has anyone fitted them? in particular, has anyone fitted Kingpin remoulds? .....how do you rate them???
To be honest, the difference in the price of a pair of these and snow socks is minimal.....and of course once they are on, they stay on for the duration of the winter....

Also, I thought that it would be prudent to fit them on steel rims so as to facilitate easy fitting/removal and also if I'm going to clip a kerb, then winter is obviously the favourite time :cryhard:

So...does anyone know which vehicle I can "liberate" some from at the scrapyard???

Many thanks all,
Trevor
I'd rather be following my piscatorial pursuits!

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Re: Steel rims and snow tyres

Post by Captain Slow » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:45 am

Wheels from any 3 or 400 series volvo will fit, I believe the stud pattern is somewhat common so other cars would supply you too.

Good luck with the tyres, by all accounts you need less of it with winter tyres
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Re: Steel rims and snow tyres

Post by bigdickbuster » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Wheels from 3xx series basically are 13 inch, so they not fit to the front hub. The brake caliper is too big to these rims.
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D