Cylindrical shock absorber @ the front axle - needed or not?

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

serokisa
480 Newbie

Cylindrical shock absorber @ the front axle - needed or not?

Post by serokisa » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:34 am

Ref. my post about engine vibration @ 2000 rpm;
Went to some "unofficial" servicemen yesterday, they have inspected my suspension and noted: the round-shaped shock absorder (volvo ref. 433432509), located at the middle of the front axle, was moving and touching the engine.
They removed this shock, but the noise remains... I tend to agree with one of the prev. comments - perhaps this is in the gearbox.
QUESTION: is this shock needed at all? It does not exist on 460/480... costs about $300 in Russia... does YOUR car have it?
Thank you.
480 ES - B18FT - 1990 - 125 tkm, probably much more

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:56 am

I don't have it. I think.

You can download a 480 parts book on the site (webspace) of admin member "dragon" Here you can check if its original. also other very usefull info there like an electrical diagram. Saves you a lot of money

one other thing what you can try ( a swedish member did that a while ago) is to record this sound, and post it here (he used his mobile phone, don't know how) In this way we drivers/hobbiistt have a better idea about the sound.

maybe its just a loose middle shield in the exhaust pot ?
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

dbsvolvos
480 Expert

Post by dbsvolvos » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:30 am

a low frequency / low rpm vibration can sometimes also be credited to the idler pulley on the cam belt , which needs replacing
[url]http://www.volvo480sport.co.uk[/url]