suspension 101, gas v oil shocks

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

suspension 101, gas v oil shocks

Post by timrosser » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi Al,

My suspension 'wheezes' a bit going slowly over bumps, when it goes over them fast it kind of crashes over them. So I think I need new shocks and perhaps new springs.

So my q is what is the basic volvo set up, EG How big / tough are the springs and what sorts of shocks? And if replacing the shocks what are the relative merits of oil v gas shocks?

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Re: suspension 101, gas v oil shocks

Post by Captain Slow » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:51 am

Speaking from the point of view of physics, the oil shocks will be stiffer and slower to respond due to the different fluid media.

I'm interested by this post as I assumed you only got oil shocks on cars?
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

volviz
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by volviz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:48 am

If it feels that suspension crashes, then you defenetely need new schocks, for 480 I haven't seen that springs notecabely give up/ lose stifness.

For gas vs oil shock - from factory most cars also 480 have ben equiped with oil shocks.

And oil shocks will always be more comfy than gas ones, cause oil reacts more slowly you get smoother ride. If you want firmer ride put gas shocks in.

Or put Koni's in - twin tube hydraulic or hydraulic-gas shocks with the performance of gas shocks but the comfort of oil shocks.
http://www.bits-pieces.com/catalogs/kon ... manual.pdf

Also there have two type of gas charge shocks , one is twin tube gas (KYB AGX , KONI, and Tein HA...etc). These shock just like the conventional oil shock but they put like 100 or more psi gas inside the oil to increase the perforamce (the gas are use to increase the pressure of the oil just like the radiator cap in you car . the higher pressure inside the more temp it will take.. The other are mono tube ( Bilstein, Ohlins , Dynamic, ...etc) have different construction , they have another piston to separate the oil and gas. So the oil and gas never mix, it end up more have perforamce and more longer life.

Mono tube gas shocks are very firm.
Image&ImageImage

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:17 pm

OK those are fantastic tips, which brand did you go for yourself Volviz?

Also- what are the risks of just going out & buying some hydrolic gas shocks on say ebay? Will any shock on the link you sent me fit any normal car- or is it more complex than that?

Thanks again

Tim

volviz
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by volviz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:39 pm

timrosser wrote:OK those are fantastic tips, which brand did you go for yourself Volviz?

Also- what are the risks of just going out & buying some hydrolic gas shocks on say ebay? Will any shock on the link you sent me fit any normal car- or is it more complex than that?

Thanks again

Tim
for everyday and some not too serious track I have red Konis (red turbo) extra low ES had sport Koni's (yellow) and mega stiff springs.

Shocks are specified by car and model not all shocks are made for all cars especialy sportier ones.

about regular shocks - there are many brands some will be more durable, some less, but new shock will alway's be better than old one, it will not only smoothen the ride but also will help with braking and general road holding.

I generaly like firmer rides thats why I have changed shocks and also springs. On other cars regular KYB's have worked fine.

Be sure to check also other suspension parts - bushes.

If you have some doubts just put a link or description and we will help ;)
Image&ImageImage

T850
480 Newbie

Post by T850 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:23 am

FYI, I recently bought a Turbo with Hausser springs. The document for the springs says that there were different sets for different combinations of shocks:
One for Sachs gas shocks (I think they were of the "Super Touring" line, these were standard on my old 480 Turbo), one for Koni Yellow, and one for the combination I got in - Monroe Sensatrac front, Bilstein rear. These are good "sporty" combinations, although on standard springs I'd go for Sachs (Boge) gas again - Volvo used them from the factory on Turbos and the right is comfortable and controlled.

Only... my Bilstein rear shocks... they are wierd.
According to Bilstein themselves they do not exist. I got blue&yellow shocks in my car, which is the standard colour for Bilstein B6 (the sporty ones).
Yet Bilstein claims they only ever made B4 for the whole Volvo 4xx range.
So maybe I got Bilsteins that were meant for a different car, Koni red from a VW Super Beetle supposedly fit the 480 rear too (but are stiffer since the beetle has its engine, and therfore more weight, on the rear axle). But since the labels are worn off I can't identify these *sniff* - would really like to know what I got there :)

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:30 pm

Hmm Just been quoted £202 for a full set of KYB gas shocks by an ebay trader with mega feeback, sounds like a respectable deal...! There are some v cheap oil fronts doing the rounds on there too, about £30 with P&P, can send a link to anyone who wants it

Tim

T850
480 Newbie

Post by T850 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Hmmm, KYB seem ok - our local garage always uses them as replacement when the customers don't specify anything else and they haven't ever had any complaints about them.

My rear shocks are definitely Bilstein B6 btw, got one out and found some numbers imprinted on the shock itself. Only... they don't show up in ANY Bilstein catalogue, not even in the abandoned parts list! But the shocks are old anyway, they still have "made in WEST Germany" printed on them , so presumably they were made pre-1990 :D
Still work great though after 200.000kms, Bilstein ftw!

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:25 pm

Any views on these fitties, did a google search and they came up with a kyb shock (see 2nd link) I could get a full new set of gas for about £140 which seems good to me... wise 480 advice always welcome!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-480-2-0 ... 524wt_1139

http://www.kyb-europe.com/shocks-excel-g.html

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Post by bigdickbuster » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:23 pm

Oil shocks are soft in summer and stiff at winter ;)
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D

nemielas
480 Newbie

Post by nemielas » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:32 pm

as mentinioned before oil shocks would be more comfortable driving while gas - stiffer but with better handling capabilities.
I'd definetely go for gas - that's what I'm doing on mine 480.

as for the brand you can choose from KYB (Kayaba), Sachs/Boge, Bilstein, Delphi. either of them are good for daily use. mostly it depends which are easier to get in your country. don't know if Monroe has something to offer but don't care as not very keen on the brand itself. Koni also can offer something, but I guess they'll cost more then above brands.

Sachs/Boge catalogue: http://webcat.zf-trading.com/index.asp
Bilstein: http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default.as ... 120&31=429

as for the springs you'll see better picture after you've dismantled them. sometimes front springs brake otherwise they should be fine. just compare if their height is even.
1988 Volvo 480ES (B18F) 199 White - still under restoration

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:51 am

Great, thanks guys, the seller has just agreed to do me a set for about £130 so I'm taking the plunge, after 15 years I think 480/103 deserves a new set!

Tim