car failed mot - power steering leak

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jab
480 Newbie

car failed mot - power steering leak

Post by jab » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi everyone. Need to get some work done on my Volvo 480S so it can pass its MOT. It failed on a leak from the power steering seal or could be the hose. The bloke in the MOT service garage was talking about a replacement steering rack but I am not so sure (or more to point, am suspicious!). It is a small leak as the fluid resevoir seems normal. There is a power steering garage near me and I am hoping that a replacement seal is all that is needed or hose if it is a leaking hose.

Anyone had this problem? Is it expensive? I'd like to get a bit of advice before going to the power steering garage and act like I know what I am talking about so I don't get ripped off.

Thanks.

felyx
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: car failed mot - power steering leak

Post by felyx » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:06 pm

its a bodge , but it may be worth putting in some SLICK 50 power steering treament/stopleak , Halfords about £10 . got to be worth a go at that price , used it once on a V6 audi 80 , and it worked quite well (leak reduced by about 90 % etc)
140mph for £175 just test the brakes