Wandering rear end

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Derek
Knows where Volvo is from

Wandering rear end

Post by Derek » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:00 am

Wondering if anyone has had the same problem. I lowered my turbo a week or so ago and the rear end felt like it was sliding as though it was trying to spin out (tyres were pretty much smooth). I had new uniroyal rain sport 2's fitted yesterday( have the same tyres fitted to the front and are fine) now the rear end feels like it has castor wheels. Its so unpredictable on tback roads now its dangerous and driving home from work today the cross winds on the motorway it was impossible to keep it in a straight line.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:29 am

Lowered 3 480s never had this problem. Got a tapping sound from the osr suspension that solved that - damn bilsteins.

can only suggest what you have probably done already put rear up on axle stands at jacking pionts or close to them ,remove wheels and waggle everything in sight looking for the worn bushing or loose bolt or even if part has come away with rust. Would try the hubs first then check the actual springs but it wont be them.

On daughters car the bush which had worn was one on the side of rear axle there are 2 and they attach the long flattened shallow U shaped rod to he axle. This can give a feeling of a drifting rear end. Sorry I dont know the name of the part off the top of my head (Rear anti roll bar) but now I think about it try this first . If it does have some movement then you can check by wrapping tape round the rod to take up slack and road test if its this then you have solved your problem.

let us know of progress. and good luck

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:00 am

Had same problem on one of my 480's, rear dampers had failed

J
Gwendoyln! They're hanging bicycle parts on me again!

Derek

Post by Derek » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:48 am

It's weird how it was fine with the bald tyres on then when i put the new tyres on all this started. it fell like when you put the rear wheels on plastic serving trays(any one else done that or just me) and drive around with the hand brake on.

felyx
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by felyx » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi Derek , when you lower any car with a rear anti-rollbar you need to shorten the anti rollbar or else it will push the rear axle maybe 1cm to the passenger side etc!!!!

if you lower a peugeot 106 40mm it moves the rear axle 18mm to the passenger side which makes the car try to go down the road sideways , an awfull lot of people lower thier cars to improve it's handluing and end making worse to drive than the standard set-up.

DONT LOWER YOUR CAR UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING ,

it's seems nobody does even our lovely fellow members on here .

not having a go at you mate , i just find this error so common across all car tuning not just 480's etc .

cheers Felyx .

please note when you lowered the car if you did not get the tracking done the geometry of the wheel alignment will be totally and uterrly SCREWED aswell.
140mph for £175 just test the brakes

DaKyy
480 Is my middle name

Post by DaKyy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:01 pm

Funny thing is, while it is legal to lower your car - it is illegal to make the panhard rod adjustable.
[url=http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ahti.peura/Volvo480ES1987RestorationProject#][img]http://www.ihku.org/~dakyy/signature.jpg[/img][/url]

Derek

Post by Derek » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:46 pm

I already knew i had to find i shorter panhard rod but coulden't find one. i got the problem fixed anyway instead of getting an adjustable/shorted panhard rod i took the metal bracket thing thats bolted to the boot floor and made the bolt holes in the bracket sloted so it could be slid to the right and then had my car 4 wheel laser aligned.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:53 pm

Derek is your car's colour code 323 ?

V480TI
480 Expert

lowering

Post by V480TI » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:24 pm

I had 3 lowered 480 turbo's (-4cm) and never problems with alignment.

However, the symptoms you describe make me think youre dampers are shot.
Why : before lowering (and new dampers) I had this problem on one of my 480's, especially on bad roads, turned out to be completely shot dampers.

New springs and dampers on and felt very good.

If I were you, check your dampers.

You have had it laser alignt, and adjusted the panhard rod, but is your problem gone now ????

greetz
Flamered GT-Turbo 09-1995, Yellow Koni's, Intrax springs,Palm Beach,rear speakers,middle arm rest,Roboumod,Vega's, CT 906 radio/cd with 850 R amplifier, Pioneer speakers allround.
Hausser front and rear bumper, Black Diamond sport clutch, lightened flywheel, flowed head.Audi TT recirc.Stainless Cat replacement, K&N airfilter,Magnecor KV85,NGK colder plugs.
Soon ; Audi/VW calippers, 280mm Renault Sport brake discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

New project : 1987 Silver 480 with B18E engine

ted clutch
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by ted clutch » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:40 pm

il second rear dampers.it made it turn in precisely. a lot more confidence now but it was never as bad as yours sounds.maybe they are a lot more shot. i lowered the previous car 40mm and didnt notice any problems with normal panhard rod. i wouldnt think anti roll bar affects axle position it will just move up both sides in a vertical plane.although it could alter the leverage angle of the links on the ends altering the twisting force slightly as it banks over.not speaking for other types of suspension setup which are totally different.

Derek

Post by Derek » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:20 pm

jim my paint code is 305-6 metallic black

V480TI yes having the alignment done solved the problem