Airbag

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

gingherheed
Can tell where the 480 was built

Airbag

Post by gingherheed » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:41 pm

I've just had the airbag off to straighten up the steering wheel. I managed to break the bit that holds the spring in place whilst doing so.

I sorted it out by winding the spring back by hand, leaving three full turns to allow for lock-to-lock turning and re assembled.

There appears to be no other problem with it but the SRS light still stays on when I start the car up.

Is there something I can do about this?

Also I note that glasgowjim doesn't trust old airbags. Should I just disconnect the whole thing or can it be serviced? Can I install a new one??

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:11 pm

try disconnecting the battery for over ten mins the control unit may reset itself.

failing that check using the diagnostics box on front wing.

then post up results.

if you want to put the preairbag wheel on its so much better then you need to change the steering column as well. keep us informed about progress please as will help as much as possible.

regards jim

gingherheed

Airbag

Post by gingherheed » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:39 am

I have the steering column and wheel from my breaker so I might do that.

I had the battery disconnected to fiddle about and it did'nt reset when I connected up again. I might take it to a garage and get it diagnosed.

I managed to break the clip that holds the copper spring in place while working on it. I rewound it by hand (allowing 3 turns for lock-to-lock turning) It seems ok. I don't think it's a real problem but is is hard to replace that part?

Iroll480

Post by Iroll480 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:50 pm

This is the airbag and SRS fault tracing manual. Hope you can sort it out with it's help.

bkf_uk
480 Rookie

Post by bkf_uk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:20 pm

You need to erase the fault code via the diagnostics port, there was a website somewhere explaining how to do this.

http://www.am.torun.pl/~ja/volvo/diagno ... stem.shtml

hope this resolves the problem, certainly sorted my srs light out!
Toys:-
2001 Ford focus (not as much fun as my volvo was!)
94 440 turbo auto (Sent to the main dealer in the sky :cryhard: )
92 Suzuki gn250 (Still in rebuild)