Steering fluid leak

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

missterdave
480 Newbie

Steering fluid leak

Post by missterdave » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi all
My PAS system dumped all its fluid suddenly, and when I refilled it, it held before switching engine on, but when running it sprayed fluid out from the pump area.

It was booked into a garage to have some other bits looked at so I asked them to confirm diagnosis on this, too.. they said it's definitely the pump.

I got a second hand pump today, fitted it, and it does exactly the same thing. Fluid sprays out around the pulley area and is flicked in every direction by the belt. So I either have two broken pumps, or two OK pumps and there's something else wrong.

Is this familiar to anyone?

I found this thread http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/vi ... hp?t=15057 I'm hoping the rack is fine, but the "power steering fluid leaks out at a significant rate" seemed familiar..

Thank you

Dave

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:32 pm

that was my enquiry but as it turns out it was the piping down to the pump that was screwed .

missterdave
480 Newbie

Post by missterdave » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:05 pm

I removed the main feed from the reservoir to the pump today, tested it for leaks and it seemed ok.. I coated it carefully and very thoroughly in duct tape and refitted to test, and the fluid sprayed out in just the same way (didn't expect the tape to fix it if it was the pipe, only "affect" it in order to diagnose) so I am thinking I bought a dodgy pump.

Does anybody have a spare PAS pump I could buy? It just needs to be the "with a/c" version, and definitely in working order!

:kill: cars

Thank you

Dave