Bearing Rattle From The Steering

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

1st480
480 Newbie

Bearing Rattle From The Steering

Post by 1st480 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:28 pm

I've noticed as engine revs rise there seems to be a rattling from the steering column which sounds like like ball bearings are loose somewhere. Is there a race bearing in the steering column that it could be? Is it possible that it could be the powersteering pump? I've noticed the steering doesn't seem to be varying correctly and has a little slack around centre. I was hoing to do a P/S fluid flush at the weekend. Any suggestions on what it might be and any checks I can make to confirm it are welcome.

480s partner
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by 480s partner » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:14 pm

Check the steering column intermediate shaft. Possibly there is play in the splines or wear in the upper/lower joints.

carl
Started learning about 480

Post by carl » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:55 pm

Exactly the same symptoms im having. Now looking on were and what steering parts to source then a fitting job. Keep this space posted!!!
Volvo C30 is guilty of plagiarism!!!!!!!!

[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/thisismyminiadventure/2008/09-14-08_Volvo/05.jpg[/img]

480s partner
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by 480s partner » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:12 pm

There are three possible locations along the shaft that can become faulty and produce the noises, generate vibrations to steering wheel and dashboard, and even transmit a nasty "disjointed" feeling while driving on bad surface roads:

- the bottom joint
- the connection point where the two halfs meet (either sides)
- the upper joint

I have been doing some research on other forums and, contrary to my belief, this problem is not that rare. :?
Unfortunately, I asked for a quote on price for a complete set from volvo and they want something like 350 euros! :shock:

I suppose it is still possible to find an upper or lower half in "good" condition but bear in mind that it is imperative that the central connection is a tight fit, otherwise you will get some play on the steering.

Of course, this is only the shaft-side of the story, it is also possible that there is some problem with, say, suspension/steering ball joints, pinion bearings, or the engine movement damper.