Vibrations from somewhere at the front

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Melvin480
Knows where Volvo is from

Vibrations from somewhere at the front

Post by Melvin480 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:28 pm

I didn't know where to place this topic, cause it would fit in several subforums.

My car has a very anoying vibration which most clearly appear at 1600rpm. It also happens at higher rpm, but not as loud/hard as at 1600rpm. It also happens more with a small amount of throttle applied. When my foot is off the throttle it doens't happen. Also when I apply (much) more throttle the vibration gets much less.

Another thing is that steering affects the vibration. Driving 55km/h in 4th gear (+/- 1600rpm) the vibration car be felt (and heard) through the whole car. When I slightly turn the steering wheel (so slightly that it almost doesn't change the direction I'm going), the vibration nearly disappears.

So, i'm looking for a vibration that is affected by steering and by the amount of throttle applied. Where to look for a part to blame? (and to replace :wink: )

Derek

Post by Derek » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:03 pm

I would check both front wheel bearings and driveshafts. Iv been told its quite common for the front left wheel bearing to colapse.

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:49 pm

Maybe I should have mentioned it before. But it is not speed dependent. Driving slowly in first gear at 1600rpm has the same effect as in fourth gear. Can it still be the wheel bearing or should the problem therefore be dependent on speed.

Also, the car has it's apk (MOT) checks a few weeks ago. The problem was already there at that moment. So the wheelbearings and wishbone bushes should have been checked.

SMOOTH 480
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by SMOOTH 480 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:36 pm

check the engine mounts :wink: if its only happening at certain RPM's then it could be a vibration in the engine thats being tranferd through the engine mounts into the car .....

Adam
volvo 480 1994 vase green 2.0 es mods- lowered 45mm, 16" gold ssp rims, K&N induction kit, high lift cam, walbro fuel pump
1985 celicasupra ( Project )
member 3285
[img]http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/18/veggies_then_fruit.gif[/img]
Its a volvo not a HONDA you silly chav[img]http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/18/starwars.gif[/img]

rgreenhalf
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by rgreenhalf » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:02 pm

I've wondered if my Engine mounts are shafted, whats the easiest way to tell? I always get a judder when I lift on or put power on again.

/end thread hijack....

ross :D
1998 Nissan 200SX - RWD / 260 BHP :)
1990 Volvo 480 Turbo - Sold
1994 Volvo 480 Turbo - Sold
1990 Volvo 480 ES - Broken

SMOOTH 480
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by SMOOTH 480 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:11 pm

i usually check by rocking the engine by hand ... i.e if its too easy to throw the engine back and forth id get underside and check them for ware and tear also the shocker could be worn on the left hand side of the engine !!!!
volvo 480 1994 vase green 2.0 es mods- lowered 45mm, 16" gold ssp rims, K&N induction kit, high lift cam, walbro fuel pump
1985 celicasupra ( Project )
member 3285
[img]http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/18/veggies_then_fruit.gif[/img]
Its a volvo not a HONDA you silly chav[img]http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/18/starwars.gif[/img]

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:54 pm

Today Mr. Volvo had the chance to find out what caused this irritating resonating noise. After 40min they found that it was the shaft that connects the steering column with the steering rack. It is a shaft with two u-joints (don't know if u-joint is the right word, it is a joint that allows the shaft to make an angle). The lower u-joint could be moved much in the direction of the shaft.

So, I need a new shaft. Volvo's price is 211Euro ex fitting. A lot of money. A called a Volvo scrapyard nearby and they had several laying around, but all from 440's. They had one from a 480, but still on the car and in unknown condition. Does anyone know if this part is the same for a 480 and a 440?

Melvin480

Post by Melvin480 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:29 pm

Well, today the Volvo dealer fitted another shaft with u-joints. The resonating noise problem was gone, but the steering wheel wasn't rotated at the normal position with the wheels straight. The steering wheel was something like 15 degrees out of it's original position.

I mentioned that the mechanic might had rotated the shaft at the steering rack side a bit and missed the correct position by one spline (the shaft from the steering rack has (I guess, will look at it later) 20 splines around it). This would explain the rotated steering wheel.

The mechanic said that this was impossible, because he had fitted the replacement shaft exactly as the one that came of, and it had to be a difference in the two shafts. It just needed the wheels aligned again.

edit:
Just back from the dealer. Mechanic said he had centered the steering wheel as good as possible and then had started adjusting the tracking rods. So, that I can turn my steering wheel further to the left than to the right now seems 'normal'.