Change the bush's or get a new Lower Suspension Arm ?

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

New Suspension Bush or New Lower Wishbone?

New Bush
29%
New Wishbone
71%

Total votes: 7

LauBen
480 Newbie

Change the bush's or get a new Lower Suspension Arm ?

Post by LauBen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:06 pm

Ok, well the bush's on my lower wishbone are shot :( and I need to get the handling sorted ASAP.

Now I have been looking on the forum and from what I can see the bush are a real pain to change and so a few of you have said how you just got a new wishbone with new bush's, craftiy :) Now from what I have been told the lower wishbone is a dealer part only, which means it is going to cost me BIG!!! :cryhard:

So the question is have I been told the correct info about them being dealer parts, or can I get them off the net?

Also is the job of replacing the bush's as hard as every one says???
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it is.
[img]http://www.480racing.co.uk/images/Banner.jpg[/img]

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:13 pm

Look for threads by Pol. Hes done more bush than Hugh Hefnor.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

JohnTurbo

Post by JohnTurbo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:14 pm

oh front wishbone i know about. I think its easy to change them...everyone else seems to disagree.

I believe there are wishbones available not through volvo.

Scantech rings a bell.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:56 pm

:rofl:
Look for threads by Pol. Hes done more bush than Hugh Hefnor.
Why thank you, I do try!

I'd probably buy new wishbones next time as it was a bit of an arse to change them to be honest. But it can be done.

pol

LauBen
480 Newbie

Post by LauBen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:42 pm

Glad it can be done, I'v just spent £42 on four new bushes :lol: Any well I will be trying to do this tomorrow so I let you all know how I got on.

Wish me luck!
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it is.

LauBen
480 Newbie

Post by LauBen » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:18 pm

:badmood: Ahhhhhhh why is it that every bolt or nut you need to remove is either rusted on or rounded off :angry:

It has taken us nearly two days to get the wishbones off, mainly because every nut and bolt was either rusted on or rounded off :cryhard: In the end we had to cut the nuts off with a grinder. But in the end we did get them off, now we will have to wait for Monday so I can get the old bushes out and the new ones in.

Any way I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

LauBen
480 Newbie

Post by LauBen » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Ok so for anyone thinking of changing their bushes, DON'T :eek: Even with a 10ton bench press trying to get the old ones out was a nightmare!!! In the end we had burn them out.

But the pain did not stop their! Even with the use of a bench press it was a hard job taking over 3 hours to get the new ones in :cryhard:

Well after we got them in, we were just waiting for the parts I order from Parts for volvo online.

What a pain that was!!! For a start the kit they call the Bilstein Streetline kit, is NOT actually a full Bilstein kit and is in fact made up of just four original spec dampers and as for the springs they are not even Bilstein they are in fact "Kilen Sports Lowering Springs" .

Add to that, the fact I paid extra for nextday delivery the kit was orded on Friday before 1200h but I did not get all the kit till this Wednesday. :angry: I say all the kit because the delivery came in two sections, the first one was left in our bin!!! With a note posted through the door. So seeing as I had not got all the kit I rang them and they were going to ring me back to let me know where the other parts were. They did'nt, I rang them a further three time and even left a message on the answer phone asking them to call me, and yep I'm still waiting for that call. :badmood:

Sorry for the rant but it is a real pain, and now I am having to go and swapout the old suspension for the new ones as I have a race in the morning. Looks like it's going to be a long night :(

felyx
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by felyx » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:06 pm

Use an air hacksaw to kill the white plastic case of the bush shell then press out etc. cheers felyx p.s i seem to remember a 61mm socket was usefull
140mph for £175 just test the brakes

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:43 am

LauBen wrote:Ok so for anyone thinking of changing their bushes, DON'T :eek: Even with a 10ton bench press trying to get the old ones out was a nightmare!!! In the end we had burn them out.

But the pain did not stop their! Even with the use of a bench press it was a hard job taking over 3 hours to get the new ones in :cryhard:
WTF?? we've done shitloads and never had that problem!

I had Formula cars press Amy's in this week as someone has broken our vice, but otherwise it would have been done the same way, two metal tubes and a vice.....
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto