Tracking after lowering

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

pol
480 Is my middle name

Tracking after lowering

Post by pol » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:12 pm

Just lowered the car on lesjofors springs by I thing 30mm. Looks quite nice. Also have kyb gas shocks all round. I want to change all of the suspension bushes and then have my tracking done as it still isn't feeling as 'positive' as i want it to.

Been speaking to Groomus and a couple of other members have old me to get it tracked before I make any opinions. But was wondering... Is it worth getting it tracked any different to the book? Any one have experience of changing the geometry? Or is that asking for trouble?

pol

hjkort
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by hjkort » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:40 am

The tracking can't be altered much. In the camber you'll find up to 1 degree negative, that is if you undo all the bolts and nuts and retighten them when the camber is set.
Alternatively camber bolts can be used.
If the camber is changed, the car will feel a little bit more nervous, especially when you fitted wider tyres.
Changing camber will effect the amount of force that can be generated by the front in steadystate cornering. The balance can be disturbed, which can result in sudden oversteer.
Concluding: some camber is allowed, but don't overdo it.

The only other thing adjustable is the toe-in. Every frontwheel driven car has some toe-out. This is due to the fact that the suspension is mounted in bushes. The driven wheels will track the car.
If the rubber bushes are replaced by PU-bushes, than the tracking needs no toe-out anymore.
While driving, the car can have some toe-in. The amount of toe-in is unknown. If you replace the bushes or alter the amount of toe-in, then it's just a matter of trial and error...
[color=cyan]member 1968[/color]
[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n225/hjkort/banner3.jpg[/img]