Rear/Front suspension overhaul...some questions.

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Rear/Front suspension overhaul...some questions.

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:29 pm

Word.

I'm going to be repairing my rear arch next year (not long after Xmas hopefully), and while everythings off i'm going to be replacing as much as i can (afford :lol:).

I've been doing some searching on the forum, and discovered some interesting things along the way. I've been on 'www.partsforvolvosonline.com' and sourced the things i need at a reasonable price.

Front droplinks (to do) are £12.10 inc. vat.
Rear droplinks (which i presume are universal fitment) £11.09
Not on the site, but available are rear shocks: KYB 'Excellence' Oil filled, which are a perfect fit (my Dad has them and no knocking) which are about £30 each. I'm happy to use these as oil filled was Volvo's choice, unless somebody can recommend good ones for the same price (bearing in mind i'm -40mm)?

Is there anything else that could be changed whist there? I did read about a shortened Panhard rod for lowered cars which came with the 480 lowering kit, and somebody did mention that it was available seperatley from Volvo. Does anybody know if it is, and if it's beneficial to have it or just to leave mine as it is?

Oh, and exhaust rubber bushes thingys that hold the backbox in place...mine are looking pretty worn...

Front:
Shocks obviously. I had my drivers side wishbone replaced this year so the bushes are quite good in those, but the passenger side bushes need doing. Front droplinks-now, sounds stupid, but i found an old pic of Marts front suspension, and there appeared to be 2 drop link bar thingys on one side-is this right? My top-mounts are ok though...

Those things i know i'll be doing def. Is there anything else that i should pay particular attention to? I did think ball joints, but i'm not sure how worn or how old they are. Apart from the obvious play in the wheel (not that mine has), is there anyway to see if they could do with replacing or should i just leave them?

I just want to do as much as i can in one hit-and the parts at the mo for the rear aren't too expensive.

Just wanted anybody's opinions or advice r.e. things i've missed out/can do. Cheers!
:D
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:38 pm

I hate doing this, but i think i posted at the wrong time of year, so here goes....

bump :x
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

owen080808
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by owen080808 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:40 pm

looks an extensive list to me. things which might be worth checking but prob not vital could be anti-roll bar bushes. or track rod ends/the bits that it steers with, come on you know what i mean :lol: wheel bearings? now i really am clutching at straws!

probably a big huge can of wd40 to loosen all those lovely coroded on bolts would be helpfull too :rofl:
Currently car-less

| '92 turbo + Rich mod | Sold

| '90 turbo + Seized engine | gone to the volvo dealer in the sky

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/owen080808/480%20turbo/avatar.jpg[/img]

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:12 pm

Dan mate!

The shorter (by 5mm!!) Panhard Rod was only available as part of the Volvo Lowering kit.This has long since been discontinuedus.

You rear suspension bushes are going to be in need of a change though,unless your service history tell you otherwise.

These comprise of the drop links you mentioned each side.There the Anti Roll Bar Bushes which are only £3 each from Vulva and are a piece of piss to slide over yer bar,ooer!
Then theres the ones which require taking off the car and running down to a garage with a 10 tonne press to have them changed over.
These are the Torque Arm ones front and rear,otherwise known as Trailing Arms,which go from the top of the rear hub to the rear bumper area.Then the Radius Arm ones each endus.Also Panhard Rod bushes each end.

I went to get mine in Downham Market from Hylton Gott and the whole rear axle bushes were £103 incl VAT with 10% off.

Basically mate,it stops the rear end swaying about.I didnt think mine was until I fitted new bushes.Its now as tight as a swans passage!

Oh,and its not worth getting the shorter Panhard Roddus unless youre going to lower the car 20mm,have 5mm shorter arb links front and rear and shorter shockers.As I say,these are no longer available anyway.

Good Luck chappy!

Steve

:hopping:

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:10 am

Hmmm...

Maybe it's going to be as much as i realy can afford! Was thinking about the old Plastic friend, but i think i'm just gonna save save save as it sounds like it's going to get expensive!

A few more q's Groomy...

The bushes you mention that need doing with a press-are these the same as the arb bushes? May sound a twat for asking, but i've no idea what it all looks like down there! And how many of those arb bushes will i need? And i presume that these bushes that need the industrial press (if not the same) are quite expensivvvvveeee?

Has anybody got an exploded diagram from Dr Who that i might be able to see? The PC i use for that program is unavailable! If i know how much it's gonna cost, i can start selling whatever i can lay my hands on on eBay :lol:

Oh, and when you say it cost you £103 for the lot, what does 'the lot' comprise of?? Cheers dude!

:D

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:59 pm

Dannium!

The arb bushes of which there are just 2,are pieces of rubber you just slide over the anti roll bar and push along it until theyre at the place where their brackets hold them to the back axle.They dont need a press.

I can bring a price list when we meet up to swap ECUs if yo want.I can show you whats what as well also if thats any good.

Haaaapppppyyy Noooooyeeeaaar!

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:30 pm

That sounds like a plan to me dude!

I'll PM you soonus!

Massive!

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:02 pm

Sure no problem I have all the bushes and the paperwork from Volvo sorted ready for you now in my garage ready to go matey.

Thats a fucking awesome avatar too man!
Could you send me a screen sized file of that??