steering wheel misaligned

Does your 480 have tracking-problems? Does your car pull to one side? Or is your steering wheel vibrating? Read the posts in this category to find out what's going on.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

BlueCruiser
480 Newbie

steering wheel misaligned

Post by BlueCruiser » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:50 pm

Not so long ago I’ve had the Kwik-Fit people to do the wheel tracking (as they recommended me doing it so I thought ok why not). As it turns out though, it’s worse than before!! - the car goes straight (not pulling to the left/right or anything) but the steering wheel doesn’t, it’s off-centred. I had it back for them to re-align for a second time and it seemed better then, only that the steering wheel still needs to be adjusted to the left slightly when I’m travelling straight, particularly noticeable on the motorway.

I keep thinking that they haven’t done a proper job. I took it to another branch and had it checked further..this time they said I need replacement on the drop links. (and quoting 50quid each!!)

I declined having them to fit, but just wondering if that maybe the real problem actually. i.e. front drop links (+ ball joints possibly?) that makes the steering wheel misaligned?? (even though the car goes straight) Or is it because 100% precise tracking isn't easy at all?

stu chacks
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by stu chacks » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:18 pm

Funnily enough, swapped around (front to back and visa-versa) the wheels on the ES lastyear - after this I found the steering wheel was off centre too. When all the tyres were replaced this year for the MOT (+tracked) it's gone back to being dead on straight again.

Don't think that answers your question, just a similar observation sorry! :sh:

Stu.

clubman_dan
480 Rookie

Post by clubman_dan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:22 pm

mine is like this too, it drives straight no problem but the steering wheel is not straight, it is off to the left too. i was thinking of just taking the steering wheel off and putting it back on straight, if it drives dead straight then i can't see what problem there is.
DAN :)
'05 Skoda Fabia Vrs- diesel power baby!
'91 turbo oyster grey- full leather, momo wheel, aircon- SOLD
'94 turbo, metallic black- Scrapped
'95 2.0 es SOLD!
'86 mini 1380 rather fast!!
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,clubman-unl-dan,white,black.png[/img][/url]

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:43 pm

Thats what I would do and have done.

It may be possibble that they HAVE done a proper job, if they have tracked it straight with equal threads left on the track rods, the steering wheel could be off centre.
It would be possible to track it up so the wheel is straight, but this may involve bodging the steering rack end of the affair.
The best plan is to get a good place to track it up properly and then put the wheel back on straight afterwards.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

Zackspeed280
480 Newbie

Centralised tracking

Post by Zackspeed280 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:44 pm

Everyone here makes a good point, my 480 had perfect tracking with a level steering wheel until last week I noticed that the inside of the front tyres were worn dangeously low - on having the tyres changed and the tracking re-done (the tracking was equally out by 4 degrees in on each side - begs to question whether all the people that track these cars have the same settings?) and on returning it to me the steering wheel is off centre and the car doesn't track in a straight line!!!

My personal thought is that if you have tracking done after replacing front tyres (ie the car has been jacked up off the suspension) then the car needs to be driven at least around the block to 'relax' the suspension to allow the tracking to be set up properly, if not as soon as you drive off and the suspension settles the tracking is out of alignment. But, not many places pay attension to getting equal threads on each side - if you've replaced the track rod ends yourself, count equal threads in and then set the steering wheel central before taking it to the shop for proffesional set-up and remind them that the wheel needs to be locked centrally.

Don't forget of course that your rear suspension also upsets the front!!! Everything wears out slowly but the difference is amazing if you spend the time to replace bushes and the like.
Far too many Capris in various build states
Westfield 2.0 Sport
Subaru Impreza Turbo Wagon
Volvo 480 2.0 Black '94
Range Rover 3.9 V8

hjkort
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by hjkort » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:08 pm

if you start having problems with the track and alignment, I would advice to refurbish all suspension mountings. It'll cost you some ribs, but the difference is enourmous.
[color=cyan]member 1968[/color]
[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n225/hjkort/banner3.jpg[/img]

Matthew Brennan
480 Rookie

Post by Matthew Brennan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:21 am

I had the same prob with my momo leather wheel...

When car came back from my accident the steering wheel is off centre.

I've put all new cobra VHP's on there about 6 months ago and the wear is totally even. Also the car drives in a perfect straight line. I checked it out with my mechanic and he says just to re-bolt the wheel to straight - that there is no problem....

So that's what i'm gonna do.....

Odd?