ABS brake light

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

480gtdriver
480 Newbie

ABS brake light

Post by 480gtdriver » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:16 pm

my gt has a problem in so much as the ABS light comes on intermittently. once on it very rarely goes off until car is restarted. i drove from scunthorpe to newquay and back and it never came on once but go to the end of my street 100metres and it comes on. i took it to be tested and everything tested fine...resistance checks the lot and the light didnt come on once.
drove away from test station and it came on within 200 metres.
any ideas would be welcome.

Bramdeman
480 Expert

Post by Bramdeman » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:04 pm

try cleaning the wheel sensors on all the wheels, if there is to much dirt on either the sensor or the pins that the sensor reads than that could make the light come on.
'99 C70 2,3 T5 LPI Full option!
'98 V70 2.5Turbo LPI aircon ice etc etc <---Wrecked, she saved my life
'82 Porsche 928S 300HP 4,6V8 (scary)
'89 Red Turbo All Fixed up SOLD
'90 ES Lavender Metallic Automatic
'93 Two Tone Turbo!! Beauty! daily driver
'92 Red ES automatic
'88 340 1,7 Project car

italianjob
480 Newbie

Post by italianjob » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:26 pm

I second that.

Mine came on one day, and stayed on until it rained a few days later!

The rain must have cleared the sensors.

If you don't want to wait until the bad weather comes in, you can always use some brake cleaner... :wink:

SanPhire
480 Rookie

Post by SanPhire » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:10 pm

Also worth checking the ABS sensor cables as they wonder through the car's wiring loom. At the front, follow the wire from the wheel hub to the bulkhead and on the engine side, you should find and IP67 rated 2 pin connector. Pull that apart and check it's clean, sealed properly, etc.

At the rear, removing the side boot interior panels (the plastic ones with the covered cubby holes) lets you get at the wires and said connectors as they pop up through the floor.

If you have MKII ABS, you'll find the computer here too - again check all connectors for cleanliness and security, and try to spot for any dodgy cables, or rusty earths.

If you have MKVI ABS, the 'puter is up front and the connectors are awkward to get too (esp. if you have a turbo) - but if you can follow the wiring loom back to the earthing points - check that.

The final check I can think of is the car voltage - I know on mine that the first system to complain when the voltage drops below 10v is the ABS system - it's picky like that.
Greta - 1994 2.0 480 GT
Herbie - 1972 1.3 VW Beetle Deluxe
Kochanski - 1982 1.7 340 GLE - Gone, but not forgotten