Front discs/pads

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:46 pm

guitarcarfanatic wrote:I took a photo of the spanner on the caliper bolt holding the car off the axel stand! Not very clear but you get the idea...

Errrm correct me but aint you doing the bolt up like that? I meant it's pushing up and not down??
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:11 pm

yeah martin, but the caliper bolt heads are on this side of the disc etc, so it is in fact going anti clockwise!!!

ohh....sometimes young maaaaan!

lol
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:31 pm

@ JT - just did it again and it's the way my axel stand is positioned meaning that it looks to be off it but is actually off by a few millimetres one side and on the other without the jack so it gave the illusion of being off the stand! Thoughht it was strong! It must of been the suspension creaking and lifting! Anyway I have a blowtorch now so MWAhahahahahhaha!

@ Martin - You made my heart stop beating when I read that! Then I did my old righty tighty lefty loosy phrase and realised you mistaken!
1996 Saab 9000 CSE 2litre EcoTurbo

Previously...
Peugeot 406 executive TD - The devil!

1991 Red Turbo - Great condition and surprisingly un-rusty!

1989 Light Blue metallic Turbo - Sold!

1993 Steel grey S - Bought for parts

1990 Red ES - Now resting in car heaven!

1989 Black ES - Great runner

1989 Black ES - Spares Car. I murdered it!

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:46 pm

:lol:

made you look ;) now I see it's the inside edge your doing.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:43 pm

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Heat made no difference! And now I have two rounded bolts! Thinking about ringing up a local garage and get a quote to put the discs I bougt on. Hoping it will be around £20(any ideas?). May even go ask the guy across teh road who is a mobile mechanic if he would give me a price to remove the claiper bolts.

One question before I go all crazy and start spending money - Would it be possible to drill directly into the bolt with a drill piece just smaller than the thread part of it so it loses it's strengh and then bash it off with a hammer? This would work in theory as far as I can see and I need to replace the bolts anyway. Rob

Previously...

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:52 pm

guitarcarfanatic wrote::angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Heat made no difference! And now I have two rounded bolts! Thinking about ringing up a local garage and get a quote to put the discs I bougt on. Hoping it will be around £20(any ideas?). May even go ask the guy across teh road who is a mobile mechanic if he would give me a price to remove the claiper bolts.

One question before I go all crazy and start spending money - Would it be possible to drill directly into the bolt with a drill piece just smaller than the thread part of it so it loses it's strengh and then bash it off with a hammer? This would work in theory as far as I can see and I need to replace the bolts anyway. Rob
it wont work....if theyre 'welded on'....the garage i went to used 'turbo' sockets....they have teeth on the inside...you knock them on to the stud, and as you turn, they bite into the stud head.....the guy snapped three snapon ones before he said shag that.
get the angle grinder out dude!!
rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

Bramdeman
480 Expert

Post by Bramdeman » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:56 pm

In theory that would work great...but i wouldn't... Chances are that the (rounded) head will come of the bolt and that would get the caliper of the car but how would you fit it back on? If you really want to drill you would have to completely drill the bolt out and retap a thread in the hub. I wouldn't even bother.

The problem isn't that the bolt is torqued up too high its just that over the length of the bolt its rusted to the inside of the hub. Usually lots (and lots) of heat and hitting it with a big hammer frees it up. Problem is just that those bolts are really long and thick on a 480 so they have more surface to rust on. :angry:

If I were you i would use all that anger built up by now and go nuts on the thing! The heads are rounded now anyway, cant make it much worse!
'99 C70 2,3 T5 LPI Full option!
'98 V70 2.5Turbo LPI aircon ice etc etc <---Wrecked, she saved my life
'82 Porsche 928S 300HP 4,6V8 (scary)
'89 Red Turbo All Fixed up SOLD
'90 ES Lavender Metallic Automatic
'93 Two Tone Turbo!! Beauty! daily driver
'92 Red ES automatic
'88 340 1,7 Project car

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:43 pm

n theory that would work great...but i wouldn't... Chances are that the (rounded) head will come of the bolt and that would get the caliper of the car but how would you fit it back on? If you really want to drill you would have to completely drill the bolt out and retap a thread in the hub. I wouldn't even bother.
This is not the case.

Once you have the caliper off, you can weld a nut onto the remnants of the stud, and it'll come out piece of piss then.
No need to retap or anything, done it several times.

@ Rob, if you get the replacement bolts, pop round and I'll do it with you?
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:56 pm

@ Chris - You have a PM!

Previously...

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:13 pm

Mwahahahahaha! Thanks to chris's efforts with Ed's awesome socket set we managed to undo all the bolts. All in all took not much longer than an hour. Learnt quite a bit(asked lot's of questions about ...well...everything lol!). The car now has a bit more feeling when braking and hopefully after I flush the brake fluid they will stop better too. I really have to give chris a big thankyou :wave:

Going to attempt the rear pads tomorrow ;) wish me luck!

Previously...