Upgrade from hub to no hub

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Douglas
480 Newbie

Upgrade from hub to no hub

Post by Douglas » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:04 pm

Hello!

I've just started taking apart the rear brakes on my 480 which hasn't been in trafic since 1999! I'm planning to do a rebuild of the brakes as they are pretty much ruined. But for the rear discs, I find it quite hard to find reasonably priced discs with hubs. And for me it would be alot cheaper and also make it easier to repair in the future and upgrade to hubbed brakes. As far as the dimentions go, I can't really see a problem with the wheel bearing and the dimentions of the disc.

It's an 1988 Turbo non ABS.
Has anyone tried this or will i have to try? :lol:
I'm thinking to just upgrade to non hub with the abs ring.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Upgrade from hub to no hub

Post by jifflemon » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:55 am

The whole hub assembly bolts to the axle with 4 bolts. Very simple to swap over.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:52 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:55 am
The whole hub assembly bolts to the axle with 4 bolts. Very simple to swap over.
assuming that the bolts can be removed, there might or might not be the remains of a hexagon on th eback of the last three I've had so best to assume use of angle grinder to remove?

I think that they are bolted from outer towards inner and not sure if that will make life easier to chop the head off the bolt rather than the restricted access on inner face? I assume that they are NOT threaded into cross-beam / axle?

best to opt for 'high tensile' bolts or Allen screws, the latter are usually high tensile by default (12.8) but set pins can range from 4.4 /4.6 (AKA toffee) to 12.8 'proper job?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Douglas
480 Newbie

Post by Douglas » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:27 pm

I've come to the conclution that it should not be a problem to fit a hub to a non hub car. I'll update when I've done the upgrade.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:46 pm

Douglas wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:27 pm
I've come to the conclution that it should not be a problem to fit a hub to a non hub car. I'll update when I've done the upgrade.

aye if item 12 or 20 can be removed/destroyed .. . . ., mine appear as a 'fused' item :shock:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:04 pm

The axle (24) has just one part number, so that must mean the four spindle mounting holes are universal. In which case, its just finding the parts you need to do the swap.

As Alan has said, does mean fighting with this...

My mk2 Golf is a combined disc/hub affair...

Like you say, nuisance when it comes to needing just "disc & pads" plus it limits your choices for upgrades should that be your thing.

Let us know how you get on.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

Douglas
480 Newbie

Post by Douglas » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:05 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:04 pm
The axle (24) has just one part number, so that must mean the four spindle mounting holes are universal. In which case, its just finding the parts you need to do the swap.
In my understanding, I should not have to remove these bolts to part 14 inorder to do this swap. As the car is non-ABS I don't need the hole for the sensor. And most of the hubs you can buy come with the abs-ring which should not conflict with the swap.
Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:04 pm

Like you say, nuisance when it comes to needing just "disc & pads" plus it limits your choices for upgrades should that be your thing.
Yes this is exactly why I'm doing this! I don't want to press new bearings and have the bearing and disc as one unit. Also, you can actually find new parts and not rely entirely on NOS stocks.

I'll update as soon as I done the swap. Unfortunatly I don't have a lot time to put into the 480 at the moment. But I'll update my progress as soon as I done it!