How to adjust brake light switch

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

How to adjust brake light switch

Post by MisterH » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:33 pm

'Afternoon

On my car, while the brake lights work, the switch is set up in such a way that they only come on when the brake pedal is pressed hard -
As can be imagined, this is rather worrying as when braking gently, there is no brake lights on the rear of the vehicle.

Just now, I was trying to adjust the brake light switch so the light comes on earlier under gentle brake pressing, however it seems nearly impossible to get at and when I am able to manoeuvre my elbows to get to it, I can't actually see what I am meant to adjust -

Does anyone have any tips?
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: How to adjust brake light switch

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:06 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:33 pm
'Afternoon

On my car, while the brake lights work, the switch is set up in such a way that they only come on when the brake pedal is pressed hard -
As can be imagined, this is rather worrying as when braking gently, there is no brake lights on the rear of the vehicle.

Just now, I was trying to adjust the brake light switch so the light comes on earlier under gentle brake pressing, however it seems nearly impossible to get at and when I am able to manoeuvre my elbows to get to it, I can't actually see what I am meant to adjust -

if it is anything like a Reliant design then you will need to be triple jointed, with haands the size of a baby and the strength of a gorilla, AND eyes on the tips of your fingers :hopping:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:27 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:06 pm
MisterH wrote:
'Afternoon

if it is anything like a Reliant design then you will need to be triple jointed, with haands the size of a baby and the strength of a gorilla, AND eyes on the tips of your fingers :hopping:
If only at the dawn of Human Evolution, the plains of Africa were littered with wedge shaped hatchbacks that needed brake switches doing, speedometers fixed and rusty wheelarches replaced... :P
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:30 pm

From my recollection Alan is about right!

Haven't done one for a long time but as I remember the point of contact is adjusted by screwing/unscrewing the centre of the switch. It's all plastic might well be quite brittle...

I am only a medium build so when I've needed to go up behind the dash there it's seat right aft and then wriggle into the footwell on my back, so head and shoulders on floor: that jus about leaves room to get an inspection light and both arms in...

Good luck!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:33 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:27 pm
Alan 480 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:06 pm
MisterH wrote:
'Afternoon

If only at the dawn of Human Evolution, the plains of Africa were littered with wedge shaped hatchbacks that needed brake switches doing, speedometers fixed and rusty wheelarches replaced... :P
:lol: good point!

Mind you, have you envisaged what we might look like?
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!