bleeding rear brakes ABS

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

bleeding rear brakes ABS

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:32 pm

I put new rigid pipes and flexibles on the NEAR side (UK) 2.0 litre a few weeks back and all OK.
now I did the OFF side and I can't get the pedal worth a **** !!

I would normally use a 'quick' pedal action to push the air along the pipe but if we try this there is a 'woosh' noise and damn all fluid comes out, I suspect it is due to some safety balance thing. the N/S when valve opened gives a nice steady stream but the O/S is just a dribble

I wondered if it was because the O/S goes up OVER the rear axle and getting a bubble there but split it at the join between hose and copper and plenty fluid pours down my arm! :-)

I suspect it is in teh flexible as needs a decent volume to push eh air through.

any ideas welcome?!?!?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Re: bleeding rear brakes ABS

Post by chriskay » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:38 am

All I know is that there is a special method of bleeding the brakes on an ABS car, but I don't know what it involves. Maybe time to talk to your friendly Volvo dealer.
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

JohnB
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by JohnB » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:52 pm

Reading from the Haynes manual is say that the front and rear can be bled using the mechanical method but only the front can be bled using the pressure method with the engine off all you have to do is depressurize the system by pumping the brake pedal so that strong resistances is felt then bled the system in the following order left hand front brake then right front then rear left then right rear

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:44 pm

I tried the Haynes manual method, darn all difference. (local 'friendly' VOLVO ? :shock: they have gone down hill lately in my opinion)

anyway with the bleed screw removed
5psi onto an adaptor on master cylinder, (from air line)
wait a bit

RESULT fluid piddling out :D
Screws bleed screw back in, and I should have got SWAMBO to buy a pair when she was passing the local motor factors next to ASDA & ALDI today

pedal nice and firm without any open/down/close/up routine! :hopping:

seems top notch, tried to leave black marks but ABS stops it doing that?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1