I might have just broke my brakes !!!

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

I might have just broke my brakes !!!

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:28 pm

Damn !!!! :wall: :kill: :twisted: :badmood:

At 9 tonight had to change my front brake pads and just rushed on with the job without thinking and I think I have broken my brakes.

Jacked and secured car having loosened front wheel , removed the wheel removed the bottom bolt and pivoted up the brake carrier. So far sooo good , then I had to answer the phone became distracted and forgot to either loosen the bleed valve and just wound the caliper right back this makes me a total retard :wall: :bla:
Looked across under the car and saw a big damp patch on the road. Its a 195 N reg celebration and the reservoir has leaked at the base of the plastic where the long stalk meets the cxonnection to the servo unit.

But thats not enough I then discover that the bottom guide pin has siezed so put some oil on it then a started to try and break it free BIG MISTAKE I ended up snapping the mother !!!!

So the question is how easy is it to replace the guide ipin /sliding bolt on the lower part of brake housing (will need to take pictures tomorrow night).

On top of that I had to see if the servo joint would still leak and it seems to be holding fluid okay but in checking this I have jammed the piston tight against the new brake pads and disc.

then I discovered that the gearbox oil seal looks to have a slight leak. :wall:

Thankfully Zoist put up an exploded diagram of the front brake system recently so thats good. Still would like some idea of how other folk solved this problem as I unbelievably dont have a spare for this brake part. :badmood:

nemielas
480 Newbie

Re: I might have just broke my brakes !!!

Post by nemielas » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:34 pm

glasgowjim wrote: Looked across under the car and saw a big damp patch on the road. Its a 195 N reg celebration and the reservoir has leaked at the base of the plastic where the long stalk meets the cxonnection to the servo unit.
if I imagine well from your description shouldn't be big deal. connection at that part is let's say weak - it just holds fluid, there shouldn't be any back pressure when applying brakes so shouldn't leak in the future. just because of closed bleeding screw/reservoir cover while pushing piston back it leaked there.
...how easy is it to replace the guide ipin /sliding bolt on the lower part of brake housing (will need to take pictures tomorrow night).
if there's nothing left of it probably just drilling, re-threading and buying new guide pin. Volvo and ATE provide them as spares. in case you'll need part number just let me know and I'll look it up.
1988 Volvo 480ES (B18F) 199 White - still under restoration

Zoist
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Zoist » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:31 am

Well I am not sure that I understand what you mean Jim

But here are to images I hope will help you

Zoist
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Zoist » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:11 pm

is it fixed Jim?

any photos?