Handbrake problems

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ChrisRidett
Knows where Volvo is from

Handbrake problems

Post by ChrisRidett » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:44 am

Just after a clarification and a bit of advice.

Poppy's handbrake seems to be sticking on in the cold.

Sounds to me like the handbrake cable itself is sticking, how awkward is it to change this out?

Or is there something worth investigating before ordering a replacement.??
Cars: Bond Bug 700ES, Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5A,Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.6, Nissan 200 SX , MG-ZR, Rover 25 , Volvo V40 1.9TD, 480 Turbo..POPPY- to be released back into the wild, Volvo V70 D5 (ExWife nicked it, gave it back broken,I fixed it temp, flogged it to WeByAnyCr before it broke again :). Hyundai Elantra 2.0 CDX ( Strangest car ever).
Now have a full OBD software so although the 480's didnt have it - any members need a cars Engine Management Light reset post 1999 get in touch :)

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Handbrake problems

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Provided you can jack up the car and put an axle stand underneath then it is a relatively easy job to remove and refit . It can be awkward but its not hard just slow at some points . Use a 13mm spanner and a pair of mole grips some wd40 and a pair of pliers oh and a strong longish screwdriver. Be careful when you remove the little clips that secure the outer sheathing at the hand brake end dont lose them under ANY circumstances as they will be needed to refit. If you have lost the rubber protector at the rear wheel end for the rubber you can squirt a dollop of lubricant down the inner that usually frees it. :lol:

ChrisRidett
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Handbrake problems

Post by ChrisRidett » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:12 am

I had a quick look under it during the brief hiatus in the snow, and the right hand rubber boot has perished, so the cables got rusty.

I've flung some WD around it for the moment, and its operating ok, but once the weather improves ( Ha! :lol: ) i shall look at renewing it and checking the pads.

Cant face laying on the creeper on a snow covered road.....Brrrrrrrrr!
Cars: Bond Bug 700ES, Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5A,Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.6, Nissan 200 SX , MG-ZR, Rover 25 , Volvo V40 1.9TD, 480 Turbo..POPPY- to be released back into the wild, Volvo V70 D5 (ExWife nicked it, gave it back broken,I fixed it temp, flogged it to WeByAnyCr before it broke again :). Hyundai Elantra 2.0 CDX ( Strangest car ever).
Now have a full OBD software so although the 480's didnt have it - any members need a cars Engine Management Light reset post 1999 get in touch :)