Front Caliper Problem

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

SteveR
480 Veteran

Post by SteveR » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:26 am

so I started drilling and found it easy if slow going. It is essential to centre punch in the centre of teh bolt to prevent drill wander. Pilot drilled with a 1/8" (3mm for youngsters) for a bit and then opened out using various other drills. I had some american drills that looked like masonry drills but at their display stand one of their gimmicks was to drill through a brake disc so I thought it should be ok for this. However, ...
Yup the drill tip detached form the drill so I now had a hole with a hard and immovable point at the bottom. So being between a rock and a hard place - I resorted to ringing Volvo parts - time was now pushing as we are moving house in 10 days time and I would not to leave the TT behind.
I was prepared for a shock when I rang Volvo parts - and I got it - the price of a new frame (assuming I took in the old item), excluding vat was thirteen pounds forty pence. You think I wrote that wrong - nope. Why did I bother trying to drill the old bit out? Why didn't I ring Volvo earlier. even the guy in the parts department went away to double check the price. So for the cost of around £40 I now have a complete new caliper carrier.

Reassemble (less pads)

Steve Robson
---------------
This was my K Reg 2L LtdEdn TwoTone - now sold
At Nurburgring (pic Suddy)

No longer a 480 owner :-(

ted clutch
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by ted clutch » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:08 am

theyre full of surprises.thats very cheap for that.on the other hand when i did my wishbones they wanted £13.50 each for the bolts, and there are four.not very special looking bolts.used old ens.

SteveR
480 Veteran

Post by SteveR » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:09 pm

Now fitted new brake pads - weird - the shop tried to sell me some pads that clearly would not fit. He identified the pads that would fit and they appear to be for a 1.7 rather than a 2L. Anyone else heard of this - my pads are the ones with the two bits of spring wire sticking out at the back of the pad.

We are now in the new (actually old) place having waited for over an hour with the removal men wondering if we had actually bought it or not. Location is by the new surf reef at Boscombe. :)

Pics of 480 by Boscombe Pier to come.
Steve Robson
---------------
This was my K Reg 2L LtdEdn TwoTone - now sold
At Nurburgring (pic Suddy)

No longer a 480 owner :-(