Brake pipes

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

pol
480 Is my middle name

Brake pipes

Post by pol » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:31 pm

Hi,

Just failed MOT and need to replace some brake hoses. I haven't ever done fixed copper pipes before but think I get the idea. Need some copper pipe, and some tools to bend and flare the ends?

Has anyone here experience with doing this themself? If I dont already have all the bits, would it be cheaper to just have a garage do it? I dont really have the time to do it myself (not before the free retest time anyway).

I read in another post that it was 10mm pipe. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,

pol

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:09 pm

The rears are a pain because it went up and over then along the side of my petrol tank.

I guess you was reading http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/vi ... hp?t=17109

You need a brake pipe flaring kit, a pipe bender and a cutter.

copper pipe and the unions. M10 thready maybe?

Pipe is not 10mm bore.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:36 pm

Cool cheers. Got some pipe, it's fairly standard stuff apparantly. Got some unions, i think they fit an 11mm spanner.

A friend has the flaring tool and i'm going to see if I can get it done first thing tomorrow morning!

pol

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:27 pm

It's done. A bit fiddley but not too bad. I see what people mean about the fuel tank now, but didn't need to remove it. Just some gentle persuasion of the clips... We flared the end once it was all in place which was difficult but we could kind of feed it through the clips along side the fuel tank and didn't measure anything :lol:

Got to get some new flexible hoses before the weekend and do it all over again!

pol