Rear brake caliper adjusters

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jonkem
480 Newbie

Rear brake caliper adjusters

Post by jonkem » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:10 pm

Hi Everyone,

first off I appologise that I am only dropping in temporarily and not even a Volvo owner!
I am here hoping for some positive info regarding rear caliper adjusters.

I have 2 rear calipers on an Isuzu Trooper which have been damaged by a badly misguided garage that didn't know how to wind back the pistons correctly.

A friend on the Isuzu Forum suggested that some Volvo's use a similar adjusting system and from reading previous posts I think it might be 480s.

I can't post a pic of the parts because I an a newbie here so here goes with a description.
On the back of the caliper there is a concealed screw (socket head) which is used to set the initial position of the piston. This screw drives another, larger, screw which goes into the back of the piston. During normal use the piston winds itself down the larger screw so it maintains adjustment and stops excessive pedal travel.

If this sounds familiar and you can confirm dimensions etc of the 2 "screws" I would be delighted. Isuzu say they can no longer supply these parts and so far no remanufacturer has been any help.

It wouldn't be worth all this effort if they were old calipers but they were brand new & genuine ones at the beginning of 2008!!

If a pic would help I can always email it to a regular member for posting.

Fingers crossed and many thanks for taking the time to read this post

Jon

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

The inner screw uses an allen key to adjust the (wind in ) the caliper the outer screw is larger and only covers the inner screw to protect it from road crap. The outer screw has an inset allen socket in it (7mm) the inner screw has a smaller dimension of allen key socket. Too late and cold to check tonight. Can supply one of each screw if required.

regards and welcome
jim

jonkem
480 Newbie

Post by jonkem » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:34 am

Hi Jim,
thanks for your reply.

It's the parts inside the caliper I need rather than the cover screw.

Can I PM you the pic so you can post it?

Cheers
Jon

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:35 am

That's one off at 400 series.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

jonkem
480 Newbie

Post by jonkem » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:34 am

martinholmesuk wrote:[
That's one off at 400 series.
Hi,
have you got a pic of the internal parts of the adjuster?
Jon

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:19 pm

afraid not. I did take it apart mind. The piston does indeed screw (reverse i think) .

otherwise nothing special.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT